Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - print columns with text and spaces Post 302893642 by keenboy100 on Thursday 20th of March 2014 11:24:17 AM
Old 03-20-2014
awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi,

I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file:

Code:
awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file

The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word.

How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6?

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print arguments along with spaces using awk

Hi All, file_1.txt contains aaa bbbb hhhh vvvvv mmmmm iiiii What i want is to search for the first coloumn of each line using awk.i.e as below: awk '/aaa/ {printf(<>)}' file_1.txt The print part (<>) should contain all the values(or coloumns ) in the particular line(here it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot print the columns i want with awk.

hi friends! i have a script where a execute a veritas command, available_media wich retrieves me a list of tapes .lst then i execute cat /tmp/listtapes.lst | grep -v VL |sed '/^$/d'|awk -F, '{print $1, $3, $4, $9} ' > /tmp/media1.lst but it prints all the columns instead of the four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filenames with spaces using awk

Hello all, I want to list the file contents of the directory and number them. I am using la and awk to do it now, #ls |awk '{print NR "." $1}' 1. alpha 2. beta 3. gamma The problem I have is that some files might also have some spaces in the filenames. #ls alpha beta gamma ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to print several pages only text without spaces among

1 I open pdf file - it has empty borders of space without text 2 I want to print 9 pages to save paper & eyes 3 In Okular i choose print - 9 pages. And I have no option for adjusting text to text (to print without spaces among 9 pages). What program can you recommend to me for this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print files with spaces using awk

When I use: find . -ls | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";"} {print $1,$2,$11}'I get a nice result, yet the files with spaces in it show only the first word and all other characters after the blank space are not printed. e.g. 'file with a blank space' is printed file 'file_with a blank space' is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print columns with spaces

Hi All I've a file which is similar to the one given below column1 coulmn2 column3 column4 A B C D X Y F G H I would like to get it in this format A|B|C|D ||X|Y F||G|H Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print string with removing all spaces

Hi all, I want to set 10 set of strings into a variable where: removing all spaces within each string change the delimiter from "|" to "," Currently, I've the below script like this:Table=`ten character strings with spaces in-between and each string with delimiter "|" | tr -d ' ' |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o1283c
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns which are not null

I am working on a file with several columns as below MO_NAME,FAULT_TYPE,CLASS,CODE1,CODE2,CODE3 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,53,58 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2B,24 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,33 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2D,57 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizwan Rasul
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use "awk" to print columns from different files in separate columns?

Hi, I'm trying to copy and paste the sixth column from a bunch of files into a single file having each column pasted in separate columns (and not one after each other in just one column.) I tried this code but works only partially because it copied and pasted 50 rows of each column... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frastra
6 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD