Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Named pipe hanging?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Named pipe hanging? Post 302893547 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 19th of March 2014 04:40:02 PM
Old 03-19-2014
So, try:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
touch test.file
LOG=./tmp.log
(
        echo "Hello world"
        ls -ltr test.file
        echo "Goodbye world"
) 2>&1 | tee ${LOG}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering mail into a named pipe

Hello, On my machine, all mail is stored in my /var/spool/mail. IS there a way to direct all mail that goes there into a namep pipe? Thank you, Dado (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Named pipe in shell script

Hi, I want to use a Named pipe to get input from a growing file for further processing. When I prototype this scenario using a while loop, the data is not written to the named pipe. This the script I use to get data into the Named pipe: #!/bin/ksh mkfifo pipe while (( n <= 10 )) do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

9. Programming

Named pipe behavior in Linux

Hi All ! I try to collect importent events from syslog and in my syslog conf, there is something like this: *.* |/logs/ipes/SLpipe1 I have a program, which opens this pipe and reads the messages from it. But how this pipe works ? Where can I probably read something about the details,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test named pipe file?

Hi ALL, How can I test a given file name exists and if it is a named pipe file in shell script ? Thanks............ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycode.in
2 Replies
io_pipe(3)						     Library Functions Manual							io_pipe(3)

NAME
io_pipe - create a Unix pipe SYNTAX
#include <io.h> int io_pipe(int64 pfd[2]); DESCRIPTION
io_pipe creates a new UNIX ``pipe.'' The pipe can receive data and provide data; any bytes written to the pipe can then be read from the pipe in the same order. A pipe is typically stored in an 8192-byte memory buffer; the exact number depends on the UNIX kernel. Bytes are written to the end of the buffer and read from the beginning of the buffer. Once a byte has been read, it is eliminated from the buffer, making space for another byte to be written; readers cannot ``rewind'' a pipe to read old data. Once 8192 bytes have been written to the buffer, the pipe will not be ready for further writing until some of the bytes have been read. Once all the bytes written have been read, the pipe will not be ready for further reading until more bytes are written. io_pipe sets d[0] to the number of a new descriptor reading from the pipe, and sets d[1] to the number of a new descriptor writing to the pipe. It then returns 1 to indicate success. If something goes wrong, io_pipe returns 0, setting errno to indicate the error; in this case it frees any memory that it allocated for the new pipe, and it leaves d alone. SEE ALSO
io_readfile(3), io_createfile(3), io_socketpair(3) io_pipe(3)