Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to backup when there is no tape available? Post 302893325 by DGPickett on Tuesday 18th of March 2014 01:34:26 PM
Old 03-18-2014
Compression of the output on a pipe (|bzip2 -9 >mount_path) helps with size and speeds network or other media speed. Before any media limits, generally compress is faster than gzip -1 is faster than gzip -9 is faster than bzip2 -1 is faster than bzip2 -9. There are a lot of tools out there:
Lossless compression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Compression Tools Compared | Linux Journal

Another way to get compression implicitly is to mount a zip as a file system. All writing to the zip, wherever it is, is compressed data, no pipes needed. https://code.google.com/p/fuse-zip/

Last edited by DGPickett; 03-18-2014 at 04:12 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

Can someone please.... help me how to install tape backup I am using FreeBSD Unix version running on I386 PC box. My IDE tape device is made by HP (Colorado 5GB). Thank you in advance! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackpotp
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add backup tape

Hi guys I have a Caldera Openlinux 3.1.1 i'm new with this OS so please bear with me. I have no idea about how to install my backup tape could any of you tell me how to do this. I worked before with unix sco openserver 5.0.6 and i know that you can use scoadmin and then option (tape ). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josramon
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

I have a script which runs overnight to backup a database into a tar file. I then gzip the file and send it off to a tape device. The command I'm using for the tape backup is tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /var/dbbackup/${FILE}.gz I thought the n meant no rewind so the next file is copied to tape... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
4 Replies

4. Solaris

backup using tape

hello everybody... i need some help ... so... i need to do some backups from one solaris system and i dont know whitch is the best solution....to use tar or ufsdump...? ...and .... how can i restore files from tape if on the tape i have 2 sessions....how can i access second session....? enough... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nich007
4 Replies

5. Solaris

backup to tape - compression?

How can I tell (from the command line) is compression is turned on for a tape drive? I need to backup a system that is approx 150gb to a tape that has 110gb uncompress but 220gb available compressed. Any ideas? Also is it possible to turn compression on or off from the command line? I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

8. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Tape suggestion

Hi All, I would like some feedback / suggestion /recommendation about backup tape/disaster recovery for linux box as i'm new to linux. We have linux box running as webserver which hosting website files. I know that i have to backup all "website files". Is there any Linux system file i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
2 Replies

10. AIX

Backup on Tape

Hi, I am very new to AIX, i have a development and a production server with AIX 6.1. I am using following command to backup my system /usr/bin/mksysb '-m' '-V' '-i' /dev/rmt0 You can what i have in my root volume group in the atached file and and you can also see the backup information of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanucit
14 Replies
p7zip(1)						      General Commands Manual							  p7zip(1)

NAME
p7zip - Wrapper on 7zr, a 7-zip file archiver with high compression ratio SYNOPSIS
p7zip [-d] [-h|--help] [file] -h print this help -d decompress file DESCRIPTION
7-Zip is a file archiver with the highest compression ratio. The program supports 7z (that implements LZMA compression algorithm), LZMA2, XZ, ZIP, Zip64, CAB, RAR (if the non-free p7zip-rar package is installed), ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM, ISO, most filesystem images and DEB formats. Compression ratio in the new 7z format is 30-50% better than ratio in ZIP format. p7zip is a gzip-like CLI wrapper script for 7zip FUNCTION LETTERS
-d Decompress file -h, --help Print usage SEE ALSO
7z(1), 7za(1), 7zr(1), bzip2(1), gzip(1), zip(1) AUTHOR
Written for Debian by Mohammed Adnene Trojette. Mohammed Adnene Trojette October 31 2004 p7zip(1)