Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 'Dynamic' setting of variables in bash script Post 302893278 by Subbeh on Tuesday 18th of March 2014 09:52:12 AM
Old 03-18-2014
Try using eval:
Code:
eval p"$n"="$p"

It's not a very good practise to set variables like this though. A much better way is to set arrays:
Code:
$ a[1]=test
$ echo ${a[1]}
test

This User Gave Thanks to Subbeh For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Setting up BIND with dynamic IP

I'm a UNIX newbie, so I know I'll be making foolish errors here... I'm trying to set up my Mac OS X 10.2 server to serve my domain name. I've got Apache running reasonably well , and I know Sendmail is up and running... Now, I seem to need to get BIND running for the domain name, and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caphector
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variables within shell script

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement of writting the shell script where it should ask me two values FND_TOP=/d02/app/oracle/xxx/fnd/11.5.0 CDCRM_TOP=/d02/app/oracle/xxx/cdcrm/11.5.0 and then keep these values stored as variables for the execution of rest of the script. Because, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting global variables with BASH/Linux

I am using functions in a script and for some strange reason the EXPORT command doesnt seem to be making my variables global. Anyone got any ideas? I am using one function to pass some output top another using the pipe command, eg Function 1 | Function 2 Function 2 reads the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregf
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting env variables using script

Hi, I wrote two small scripts to set env variables in a shell. java_env.csh #!/bin/csh -fn setenv JAVA_HOME '/scratch/software/jdk1.5.0_11' setenv PATH $PATH':'$JAVA_HOME'/bin' and run it using csh ./java_env.csh But the env variables are not set. I tried running each line on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoviceAmod
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defining Dynamic Number of Variables in a Bash Script

Code: $ cat test.bash #!/bin/bash job=$1 steps=$2 num=$(echo "$@" | wc -w) Example Submission: $ ./test.bash BS01 3 1 2 3 What: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to reference variables for a dynamic menu driven script.

How do I assign values to reference variables? I am assigning a variable name to --> $user_var Then I am trying to change its underlying variable value by $((user_var))=$user_value .. its failing,, Please let me know if there is a way to do this dynamically.. FileA.props... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem setting environment variables from script

Hi all! I know that environment variables can be set on the .bashrc file, but I need to set them from a sh script. I saw a lot of websites that teach this but it doesn't work for me. #!/bin/sh DEKTOP=$DESKTOP=:/home/rrodrigues/Desktop export DESKTOP if I do echo $DESKTOP returns me... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create, validate and using dynamic variables in Bash scripting

Hi All, I am really struggling to solve this problem, this might be small but I am not able to, can somebody help me? I have few directories and these directories receives text files in large amount with in fraction of seconds. So I just want to send all the files in current directory to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Setting Env Variables

Hello All. Good Afternoon. I need one small help regarding setting of env variables for a particular host by getting it from the DB. For ex : 1. I am using LOCALHOST. 2. When I run a ./hostset.sh it should pick up the Oracle home details from associated DB and set it. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PavanPatil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Setting default values for variables

I have a variable I want to use in bash script. The user will pass an argument to the script and I will store it in `arg_fql`. If the user does not pass the variable, I still never set arg_fql, but I set another variable to a default. However, if the user passes a value, `arg_fql` will be set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies