Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash_profile versus bashrc
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bash_profile versus bashrc Post 302893272 by vbe on Tuesday 18th of March 2014 09:13:05 AM
Old 03-18-2014
if its bashrc rather than .bashrc, thats means the person who wrote the scripts wants a kind of human decision... in the access of that application...

To answer your question, I dont think there is a "have to" but more customize to suit your needs, I for instance am responsible of SAS software on a server, but I am not a true SAS user..., I dont want people with no reason access SAS also, so for sure I will not put SAS in the PATH of /etc/profile...
I have written a script that sets all environment needed for SAS and their diverses apps... and that is put and called in the .profile of concerned users, but since I do have to use or chack SAS I have the script that I call when I need to... but there is nothing stopping you naming that file setenv4thatapp rather than bashrc that is a bit confusing... since its specific to an application environment

Last edited by vbe; 03-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: typos and language...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbers on permanently through .bash_profile

Hi Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to edit ones .bash_profile, to make the setting on of line numbers (in vi/vim), permanent? I've been to a few IRC channels and people keep telling me it is more of a vi/vim thing and to use something called ".vimrc", however I heard that it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unrecognized Path in .bash_profile

Dear experts, I have installed Ruby in the following directory: $ pwd /home/ewijaya/.ruby $ ls bin lib share And I have also stated the PATH in my bash_profile like this: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then . ~/.bashrc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkfan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_profile problem

Hi Guys, I modified my .bash_profile script , and tried to change the prompt. Following is the line of code in my .bash_profile script. export PS1=" \W " But I get the output as: \W This appears to be my prompt now. Any idea what should be done.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question in .bash_profile

We are more users using the oracle account, and people want to include theyr own files in .bash_profile. Like this: while ; do echo -n "LOGNAME is '$LOGNAME' (no sens), who are you? " >/dev/stderr read ln export LOGNAME=$ln done This works well when logging in to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hannem
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash_profile does not working

Hi all. when i connect as user megaguru i have a problem my .bash_profile does not working^:( if i do: . ./.bash_profile all enviroment variables are in place. How can i force linux to use .bash_profile before logon process? thanx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smallman
1 Replies

7. Solaris

allias in .bash_profile not working

I am using solaris 10 x86. I have created a .bash_profile under root's home directory(/). The contents of the file are: Solaris10u8/# cat .bash_profile export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin export PS1='\h\w\$ ' export PAGER="less -imsq" alias ll='ls -l' alias la='ls -a' The problem is that: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash_profile or .profile

Hi, happy new year. on AIX 6.1 , for user oracle , there are two files : bash_profile and .profile I do not know which one is executed when login ? How to know , More over in both of them we have : in .profile : ORACLE_HOME=/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile versus .profile of user in Solaris 10

Hi All I am kind of confused, when to use .bash_profile or .profile I have just created a user on a test server, with: useradd -u 103 -d /fretagi -m -s /bin/bash fretagi but now in its home dir I have: -bash-3.2$ ls -al total 14 drwxr-xr-x 2 fretagi other 512 Dec 5 15:54 .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile question

Hello everyone, I'm trying to set my .bash_profile to change my primary prompt from this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:~>to this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:/home/rcarvall> Here's what my .bash_profile looks like right now: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies
SMP_REP_PHY_EVENT(8)						     SMP_UTILS						      SMP_REP_PHY_EVENT(8)

NAME
smp_rep_phy_event - invoke REPORT PHY EVENT SMP function SYNOPSIS
smp_rep_phy_event [--help] [--hex] [--interface=PARAMS] [--phy=ID] [--raw] [--sa=SAS_ADDR] [--verbose] [--version] [--zero] SMP_DEVICE[,N] DESCRIPTION
Sends a SAS Management Protocol (SMP) REPORT PHY EVENT function request to a SMP target. The SMP target is identified by the SMP_DEVICE and the SAS_ADDR. Depending on the interface, the SAS_ADDR may be deduced from the SMP_DEVICE. The mpt interface uses SMP_DEVICE to identify a HBA (an SMP initiator) and needs the additional ,N to differentiate between HBAs if there are multiple present. OPTIONS
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output the response (less the CRC field) in hexadecimal. -I, --interface=PARAMS interface specific parameters. In this case "interface" refers to the path through the operating system to the SMP initiator. See the smp_utils man page for more information. -p, --phy=ID phy identifier. ID is a value between 0 and 254. Default is 0. -r, --raw send the response (less the CRC field) to stdout in binary. All error messages are sent to stderr. -s, --sa=SAS_ADDR specifies the SAS address of the SMP target device. Typically this is an expander. This option may not be needed if the SMP_DEVICE has the target's SAS address within it. The SAS_ADDR is in decimal but most SAS addresses are shown in hexadecimal. To give a number in hexadecimal either prefix it with '0x' or put a trailing 'h' on it. -v, --verbose increase the verbosity of the output. Can be used multiple times -V, --version print the version string and then exit. NOTES
Similar information is maintained for SAS SSP target phys (e.g. on a SAS disk). It can be obtained from the Protocol Specific Port log page with the sg_logs utility. Similar information may be obtained for SAS initiator phys (e.g. on a SAS HBA). As an example in Linux 2.6.28 error information can be found in this directory /sys/class/sas_phy/phy-4:0 (for the phy 0 in SCSI/SAS host 4). Similar information may be obtained for SATA device phys (e.g. on a SATA disk). If there is a SAT layer between OS and the SATA device then the sg_sat_phy_event utility can fetch the information. CONFORMING TO
The SMP REPORT PHY EVENT function was introduced in SAS-2 . AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
smp_utils, smp_phy_control, smp_rep_phy_event_list(smp_utils) sg_logs, sg_sat_phy_event(sg3_utils) smp_utils-0.96 May 2011 SMP_REP_PHY_EVENT(8)