Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Understanding Getopts in an otherwise easy assignment Post 302892961 by Perderabo on Sunday 16th of March 2014 10:49:33 AM
Old 03-16-2014
First, you need to remember that your instructor has given you a very simple script. If everything was this simple there would be no getopts. But getopts can handle almost anything you throw at it and with more complex scripts it would be a nightmare to do it all manually.

Now in your case, it looks like "alert user" is the basic command. You have to give some user name. A command like just "alert" all by itself makes no sense. It may be that your script only handles one user... that's enough as an example to learn scripting. But in the real world it would probably be able to handle multiple users "alert user1 user2 user3 user4....". So far we have not talked about options.

You have a option called -m and it seems to require an argument. Ditto -w. So it's like this...
Code:
alert user1
alert  -m "some -m stuff" user1
alert  -m "some -m stuff" -w "some -w stuff" user1

getopts is going to handle the stuff in color. The reason getopts is in a while loop is that it is looping through the command line, word by word, left to right. After you finish absorbing the command line you should know what to do. If that involves another while loop, then you will need a second while loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do my assignment?????

my lecturer want to do an assignment about telnet server..first, he want us to download the telnet server..then he want we do about copy files and share files by using the telnet server....what is that??? and one more thing is how to do 'ping'???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amelia
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help on installing an EASY to use and easy to install command line text editor

Hi again. Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming the boards a bit, but I figured I might as well ask all the questions I need answers to at once, and hopefully at least get some. I have installed Solaris 10 on a server. The default text editors are there (vi, ex, ed, maybe others, I know emacs is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

New Assignment

All Sys Administrators, With due respect I would like to know what should be BEST Things to do when LEAVING one job , and what Precaution MUST be taken while taking over new JOB?? Please Discuss in detail the STEP to be taken for both the TIME ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopts

Hi, I have a program where I want to use getopts. I want to use "-i" option and then optionally supply arguments. If user dosent supply arguments, then also it should work. Please tell me how to proceed. Here is some code, this is not right code btw but a sample to understand what I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

5. Programming

Help understanding pointer assignment in c

after some years of pause, im returning to c. char *varname = "asd"; int *number = 4; the above code is wrong, because its assigning a value to an unreserved space, or because its changing the address the pointer is pointing ? thanks for the replys!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

RE value assignment

Hi all How do I assign a pattern to a variable after a match is found using a regular expression in PERL? For example using a regular expression (RE) and matching as given if ($_ =~ /(?:\s*+\s*,)*\s*+\s*/) I want to assign the pattern matched by the RE to a variable. e.g. given the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Assignment Help

1. List commands to create the directory hierarchy $HOME/a/b/c in vi to replace all occurences of TMP with tmp in lines 1 through 10 in vi to replace first occurence of CPU_file with DISK_file at line 15 2. Explain with a very simple example, usage of "ls -a" 3. What do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessesaini
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a shell script which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a little help with assignment

Hello all im currently working on this assignment and a little stump on how to check for an argument heres the instructions: Step 4: Modify your script so that if there is an argument called TestError you display the following error message with your usage statement. TestError found Example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsn3971
1 Replies
lmfsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       lmfsetup(8)

Name
       lmfsetup - License Management Facility PAK registration script

Syntax
       /etc/lmfsetup [ template ]

Description
       The  script allows you to register data supplied by a Product Authorization Key (PAK).  The script prompts you for the data associated with
       each of the fields on a PAK.  When all the data has been entered, the License Management Facility (LMF) ensures there are  entries  against
       all  the mandatory fields, and that the Checksum validates all the license data.  If the data has been entered correctly, the PAK is regis-
       tered in the License Database.  If the data has been entered incorrectly, the appropriate error message is displayed and you are given  the
       opportunity to re-enter the data.

The template option allows you to register license data from templates in A template containing a partially complete PAK is created by some
       products as part of their installation process.	The script only prompts you for data on the fields that are empty in the template.  If the
       script cannot find the specified template in it searches the current directory.

The  script  is	provided as an alternative to the command.  This displays a template, which includes the fields on the PAK, and invokes an
       editor so that you can add the license data to the appropriate field.  The command also allows errors to be corrected without having to re-
       enter all the data.

See Also
       lmf(8)
       Guide to Software Licensing

lmfsetup(8)