Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl syntax for formatting columns and text Post 302892863 by sagar_1986 on Saturday 15th of March 2014 06:28:56 AM
Old 03-15-2014
Perl syntax for formatting columns and text

Dear all,

Pzl let me know what is the syntax for converting the columns format to text as i have lots of values for
Quote:
eg. 001,0235,0002215,0012596,
but when i put these values in xls sheet the values are automatically converted to
Quote:
1,235 etc.
and one more question i have is how to call values from shell script into perl script
eg.
Quote:
if I want to add border and any formatting from cell A1 to A23 and this 23 value is stored/grepped in shell script then how to call it in abc.pl script.
Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text formatting to 132 columns

I want to take a file that is generated in 132 columns from a unix based report generator and transfer it to a windows environment and preserve the column length. Any ideas how I can do this so that whatever windows based text editor that reads the document will know it should be in 132 columns?... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmossman
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting info into columns

Hi This question has kind of been asked before but I couldn't get any of the solutions to work. I need to format fields being cut from a file into columns so it looks like a table. e.g Full name Address Hiredate Joe Smith London 11.01.01 Bill King ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: straight_edge
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file formatting by perl

have a simple text file as input.i have to print that file in paragraph format.whenevr it finds "\n" in the input text it should start printing in next paragraph in output file.also a fixed amount of space should be given before start writing in every paragraph. the input and output file format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avik1983
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting in Perl.

Hiho, I've got a variable $sth = `du -sh /home/$whoami`; where $whoami is actually logged user. I want to have only the size of this directory eg. 2,7G. I know its lame, but anyway.. how to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fenox
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting a line of data into columns

Hi all, I'm a little stuck with a data file I've been collecting data in. The file contains one field of data running continuously down the file and I can't work out how to format the data into three columns. This is a mock up of the file: Each r# is a random number and varies in length, this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output in columns

I have a file which contains data in below format: nbkv28s MgmtReporting -> TradingDesk 1 nbkv28s RMBS -> Credits 178 nbkv28s RMBS -> PassThrough 96 nbkv28s RMBS -> Prepayment 111 nbkv28s RMBS -> RMBSHome 370 nbkv28s RMBS -> TradingStrategy 98 nbkvnze RMBS -> RMBSHome 85 nbkvugn GSF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting columns

Hi I have a file that is several gigs in size and basically I want to change the format of it. Obviously I cannot go through it manually. The file looks like this: 897 2 901 2 905 2 909 2 913 2 917 2 921 2 925 2 929 2 933 2 937 2 941 2 945 2 949 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aligning columns in a text file using Perl

Hi All, I am new to perl and was trying to write a simple program which will generate a text file as output.. now the output which i am getting is something like this.. ================================================================================================== Col1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting columns in file

I have a script that creates a file with three column output. The columns look like this: Policy Name Name Volume VLS-EDWARDS-ARCHIVED_FILE-WINDOWS 10 12 XLZ-BASE-CYGWIN-ARCHIVED-FILE-LINUX 2 21 ZLX-GOLD-FILES-JAPANFILERS1-LINUX 20 27 ZLX-GOLD-FILES-JAPANFILERS2-LINUX13 29... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash formatting data into columns

Hi guys, I'm trying to create a table of aggregated data using just bash commands. My data is in three columns, for example: 2014-01-01 testA 64 2014-01-01 testB 27 2014-02-01 testA 31 2014-02-02 testB 29 2014-02-02 testC 12 And the result I am looking for is: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mccmjc
4 Replies
py_xls2txt(1)						      General Commands Manual						     py_xls2txt(1)

NAME
py_xls2txt - convert an Excel xls file to a plain text file SYNOPSIS
py_xls2txt input-file DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. py_xls2txt takes an Excel xls file as an argument and converts it to a plain text file. Output is sent to stdout. Additional utility scripts can be found in the tools/ directory. OPTIONS
This program does not take any command line options. AUTHOR
pyexcelerator and py_xls2txt were written by Roman V. Kiseliov <roman@kiseliov.ru>. This manual page was written by Kevin Coyner <kcoyner@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. SEE-ALSO pyexcelerator(1), py_xls2csv(1), py_xls2html(1) October 12, 2006 py_xls2txt(1)