Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Rsync in progress, strange results Post 302892849 by DustinT on Friday 14th of March 2014 10:20:53 PM
Old 03-14-2014
Rsync in progress, strange results

Disclaimer, I've been a Linux admin for a while but don't frequently setup rsysnc jobs.

Here's the command I'm running on CentOS 5.5, rsync 2.6.8:
Code:
rsync -arvz --progress --compress-level=9 /src/ /dest/

/src has 1.5 TB of data, /dest/ is a new destination and started out empy. Oh ya, both /srv and /dest are cifs shares. I know that /src is off a Windows 2008 server and /dest I have no idea. The /src is a local file server connected via 1g ethernet and /dest is remote on the other end of a slow WAN link.

Here's the mount output:
Code:
//remotesf/dest on /dest type cifs (rw,mand)
//localfs/src on /src type cifs (rw,mand)

Here's the part that's got me scratching my head. This transfer has been running for a few hours and seems to be fine. I know it's gonna take a few days and I'm good with that. BUT, I'm watching transfer and as a file completes I'm doing a ls -lah so I can see the completed file but its not there... like all the directories are being created, the copies are taking time and doing their work but when I browse or ls the directory it's empty.

What's the deal?

---------- Post updated at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:18 PM ----------

Bonus question; without stopping the running job anyone got a good way to see how much has transferred? df -h /dest doesn't seem to produce any useful output.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-14-2014 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync, compression, progress and logging

Hello. Using Rsync to synchronize files on 2 red hat servers, works fine. Trying to use the compress options, but I don't know if it is working? Nothing logged in the progress messages. Not sure in my case if compression will be helpful in my case, so I would like to see some statistics. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimBurns
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to add a variable for the results from the formula of one variable and results of another var

Good morning all, This is the file name in question OD_Orders_2019-02-19.csv I am trying to create a bash script to read into files with yesterdays date on the file name while retaining the rest of the files name. I would like for $y to equal, the name of the file with a formula output with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibrahim A
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange results from 'strings | sort'

Using the 'strings' command and piping the result to 'sort' is producing strange results. I get block of lines that begin with asterisks, then a block that begins with some text, then more lines that begin with asterisks. The actual content is correct - lines beginning with asterisks is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
5 Replies
MEMMOVE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MEMMOVE(3)

NAME
memmove - copy memory area SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> void *memmove(void *dest, const void *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The memmove() function copies n bytes from memory area src to memory area dest. The memory areas may overlap: copying takes place as though the bytes in src are first copied into a temporary array that does not overlap src or dest, and the bytes are then copied from the temporary array to dest. RETURN VALUE
The memmove() function returns a pointer to dest. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), strcpy(3), strncpy(3), wmemmove(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1993-04-10 MEMMOVE(3)