Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris IPMP in the Service Domain (Oracle VM Sparc) Post 302892656 by Peasant on Friday 14th of March 2014 03:29:21 AM
Old 03-14-2014
I think you misunderstood the document.

You can use IPMP in service domain (control domain, hypervisor) in two ways i described earlier.

The document states the third option (which i haven't tried but i see no reason not to work), is to use vsw interfaces on control/service domain to make an ipmp group.

So you have 8 physical interfaces (net0 to net7), consisting of two cards with 4 ports each with their drivers (ixgbe, igb).

You use those interfaces to create VSW (one per interface, so 4 total VSW, 4 are still unused and 2 of those unused are not connected with cable).
I see you have chosen to configure 4 VSWs with 2 ports from each card (hopefully each card is connected to different physical switch)

This creates additional interfaces which you can see under show-phys (DEVICE vsw).

After that for control/service/primary domain you can :

1. Create an ipmp group on control domain consisting of two or more physical interfaces, preferably from different cards (DEVICE ixgbe, igb under show phys)

2. Create an ipmp group on control domain consisting of two or more vsw net interfaces preferably from different cards (DEVICE vsw under show phys)

3. Use ldm commands to add vnet's to primary domain (control/service domain) and use those interfaces (DEVICE vnet under show phys after adding via ldm) to create ipmp group.

For guest ldoms, you will need to add 2 or more vnet's from each VSW and configure ipmp inside ldom (same as third option above, but for guest ldoms).

Also, do you tend to use different VLAN's inside you guest ldoms now or in the future ?
If you even suspect you will use it, configure it now, since it will be a hussle later.

Hope that clears things out.

Regards
Peasant.

---------- Post updated at 08:29 ---------- Previous update was at 08:12 ----------

Just couple of more hints regarding VM.

For VDS, use one VDS - one guest LDOM, don't put everything in primary-vds.

Disable extended-mappin-space everywhere since i noticed sometimes live migration fails with this on.

You might want to disable INTER-VNET-LINK (to off)
I had a situation when network between two guests, that reside same physical machine on the same subnet, just stops working.

I have ran some internal test with those two options on/off (which should improve network throughput), and didn't notice any performance gains, only experienced issue above Smilie

Depends on which patchset you are, perhaps those issues are now fixed.

Regards
Peasant.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Oracle Linux on SPARC

Hi Oracle Linux users, You can probably guess from the title what the question is: Does anyone know if Oracle Linux (the Unbreakable variety I think that is) comes in a SPARC release or, if not, will there be one some time soon ? Many thanks, P;):D:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Service error on sparc server running solaris 10

Hi, I am getting following service error on one of the sparc servers running solaris 10 - Code : $ svcs -a | grep "maintenance" maintenance Nov_08 svc:/application/management/sma:default $ svcs -xv svc:/application/management/sma:default (net-snmp SNMP daemon) State: maintenance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmin
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Can we configure link based IPMP in private connectivity in Oracle RAC

Hi I would like to know whether we can configure link based IPMP in private connectivity in Oracle RAC Regarsd ---------- Post updated at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:27 PM ---------- Here I am taking about in case of private connectivity through cross cable (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies

4. Solaris

SunOS sun4v sparc ntp service in maintenance mode.

Hi experts, This is a production server. Host information's are below SunOS hostname_srv 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc sun4v Now issue with ntp service, This host have zone in it with 9 hosts, Every hosts have ntp service issue. While i check for the service status it's in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Oracle VM for SPARC - control/io domain dilemna

Hi all, My internal SAS disks (4 of them) are all sitting on the same controller/pcie device which is now being own by my default primary aka io aka control domain. I have created a vdisk server, that serves slices on these 4 disks to guest domain and everything is working fine. The issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
2 Replies

6. Solaris

When do you need a separate service/IO domain?

Looking at latest recommendations - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/ovmsparc-best-practices-2334546.pdf - specifically regarding domain roles. At the moment, we just have a physical host, primary control domain and then guest ldoms. We then export things like vdisks,vnet etc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies
netgroup(4)															       netgroup(4)

NAME
netgroup - list of network groups SYNOPSIS
/etc/netgroup A netgroup defines a network-wide group of hosts and users. Use a netgroup to restrict access to shared NFS filesystems and to restrict remote login and shell access. Network groups are stored in a network information services, such as LDAP, NIS, or NIS+, not in a local file. This manual page describes the format for a file that is used to supply input to a program such as ldapaddent(1M) for LDAP, makedbm(1M) for NIS, or nisaddent(1M) for NIS+. These programs build maps or tables used by their corresponding network information services. Each line of the file defines the name and membership of a network group. The line should have the format: groupname member... The items on a line can be separated by a combination of one or more spaces or tabs. The groupname is the name of the group being defined. This is followed by a list of members of the group. Each member is either another group name, all of whose members are to be included in the group being defined, or a triple of the form: (hostname,username,domainname) In each triple, any of the three fields hostname, username, and domainname, can be empty. An empty field signifies a wildcard that matches any value in that field. Thus: everything (,,this.domain) defines a group named "everything" for the domain "this.domain" to which every host and user belongs. The domainname field refers to the domain in which the triple is valid, not the domain containing the host or user. In fact, applications using netgroup generally do not check the domainname. Therefore, using (,,domain) is equivalent to (,,) You can also use netgroups to control NFS mount access (see share_nfs(1M)) and to control remote login and shell access (see hosts.equiv(4)). You can also use them to control local login access (see passwd(4), shadow(4), and compat in nsswitch.conf(4)). When used for these purposes, a host is considered a member of a netgroup if the netgroup contains any triple in which the hostname field matches the name of the host requesting access and the domainname field matches the domain of the host controlling access. Similarly, a user is considered a member of a netgroup if the netgroup contains any triple in which the username field matches the name of the user requesting access and the domainname field matches the domain of the host controlling access. Note that when netgroups are used to control NFS mount access, access is granted depending only on whether the requesting host is a member of the netgroup. Remote login and shell access can be controlled both on the basis of host and user membership in separate netgroups. /etc/netgroup Used by a network information service's utility to construct a map or table that contains netgroup information. For example, ldapaddent(1M) uses /etc/netgroup to construct an LDAP container. Note that the netgroup information must always be stored in a network information service, such as LDAP, NIS, or NIS+. The local file is only used to construct a map or table for the network information service. It is never consulted directly. nis+(1), ldapaddent(1M), makedbm(1M), nisaddent(1M), share_nfs(1M), innetgr(3C), hosts(4), hosts.equiv(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) netgroup requires a network information service such as LDAP, NIS, or NIS+. Applications may make general membership tests using the innetgr() function. See innetgr(3C). Because the "-" character will not match any specific username or hostname, it is commonly used as a placeholder that will match only wild- carded membership queries. So, for example: onlyhosts (host1,-,our.domain) (host2,-,our.domain) onlyusers (-,john,our.domain) (-,linda,our.domain) effectively define netgroups containing only hosts and only users, respectively. Any other string that is guaranteed not to be a legal username or hostname will also suffice for this purpose. Use of placeholders will improve search performance. When a machine with multiple interfaces and multiple names is defined as a member of a netgroup, one must list all of the names. See hosts(4). A manageable way to do this is to define a netgroup containing all of the machine names. For example, for a host "gateway" that has names "gateway-subnet1" and "gateway-subnet2" one may define the netgroup: gateway (gateway-subnet1,,our.domain) (gateway-subnet2,,our.domain) and use this netgroup "gateway" whenever the host is to be included in another netgroup. 22 Jul 2004 netgroup(4)