Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text string parsing in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text string parsing in awk Post 302892629 by Michael Stora on Thursday 13th of March 2014 08:22:03 PM
Old 03-13-2014
Text string parsing in awk

I have a awk script that parses many millions of lines so performance is critical. At one point I am extracting some variables from a space delimited string.

Code:
alarm = $11; len = split(alarm,a," "); ent = a[3]; chem = a[4]; for (i = 5; i<= len; i++) {chem = chem " " a[i]}

It works but is slow. Adding the array slowed things down. Adding a for loop made it even worse. Is there a faster way to do what I am trying to do with string functions? In BASH, I'd do substitutions. Is there something built into awk to take the text between the 2nd and 3rd space in a string into one variable and everything after the 4th space into another without arrays or loops?

Code:
alarm = "padding1 padding2 ent_name chem_name can have spaces but goes to end of string"

I want:
Code:
ent = "ent_name"
chem = "chem_name can have spaces but goes to end of string"

Mike

Last edited by Michael Stora; 03-13-2014 at 09:33 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help parsing a string

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that outputs, among other things, some of the information that is outputted by the mysqladmin status command. The output of the command looks like this: Uptime: 816351 Threads: 19 Questions: 80719739 Slow queries: 1419 Opens: 15903523 Flush tables: 1 Open tables:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: achieve
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing string

I am passing argument 1-13 to a sh file. I want to parse the string and the get the numbers on either side of "-" in two different variables. I am not familiar with unix .. how can i do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing with awk/sed/?

If I have a string that has some name followed by an ID#(ex.B123456) followed by some more #'s and/or letters, would it be possible to just grab the ID portion of this string? If so how? I am pretty new with these text tools so any help is appreciated. Example: "Name_One-B123456A-12348A" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airon23bball
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose random text between constant string.. using awk?

Hallo I have maybe a little bit advanced request.... I need to choose one random part betwen %.... so i have this.. % text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 % text2 text2 text2 text2 text2 % text3 text3 text3 tetx3 % this choose text between % awk ' /%/... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandwich
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a paticular string from the text file with awk.

hello forum members I have txt file which consists the following information. Server: abababa.xyz.ap.mxmx.com Address: 111.143.211.202 Name: rmxd.ipc.ap.mxmx.com Address: 144.111.99.9 from the abovefile i have to extract only string "rmxd.ipc.ap.mxmx.com" through awk command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex text parsing with speed/performance problem (awk solution?)

I have 1.6 GB (and growing) of files with needed data between the 11th and 34th line (inclusive) of the second column of comma delimited files. There is also a lot of stray white space in the file that needs to be trimmed. They have DOS-like end of lines. I need to transpose the 11th through... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)