Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Moving VIOS, LPAR's, HMC to different subnet Post 302892613 by spricer on Thursday 13th of March 2014 04:38:13 PM
Old 03-13-2014
Moving VIOS, LPAR's, HMC to different subnet

Hi,
Just joined to new company with one Power 720 Express (8202-E4C) server and have no much experience with IBM systems.
I am trying to move everything I mentioned to different subnet as required by customer contract (currently sitting on same subnet as company lan). Access to this subnet will be controlled by firewall (dedicated physical port).
My idea was first to move HMC than VIOS and LPAR's at the end. Through HMC I could use console access to VIOS and LPAR's so I can control IP settings not worrying losing connectivity to them.
First I moved HMC (management) port and it works as expected (I can access it from old subnet).
Problem is that HMC now can not connect with console to VIOS and LPAR's any more. (Internal error, unable to send command to the managed system)
So my question is how HMC communicates with VIOS and LPAR's?
How can I ensure not to lose console access capability?
Do I just need to configure VIOS and LPAR's with IP's from new subnet and hope that they would be accessible again via console access?
For HMC move I changed IP address and default route on interface. On firewall side for the transition period both subnets can talk to each other - no restriction/blocking).
Thanks.

Last edited by spricer; 03-14-2014 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: more details

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem mapping LUN disk from VIOS to the LPAR

Hello guys, It would be so nice of you if someone can provide me with these informations. 1) My SAN group assigned 51G of LUN space to the VIO server.I ran cfgdev to discover the newly added LUN. Unfortunately most of the disks that are in VIO server is 51G. How would I know which is the newly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

2. AIX

To see vhost on VIOS after creating an HMC profile

I created a profile in HMC for a new LPAR and activated it but not yet installed AIX. Is there a step to make this new LPAR available as vhostX from the VIO server after creating and activating an HMC profile? I already shared the CD-ROM device from the HMC profile. Thanks. -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner1
1 Replies

3. AIX

VIOS to lpar Mapping

Hello, I have created mapping of 2 virtual adapters for Lpars using following command: mkvdev -vdev ipanalyzerlv1 -vadapter vhost11 mkvdev -vdev ipanalyzerlv -vadapter vhost13 The above two commands were succesfull but when I want to map the third virtual device to the same Lpar than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
3 Replies

4. AIX

What's the difference between VIOS and LPAR?

Hi All, Besides the licenses on VIO and LPAR. What's the main difference with the two? I have installed VIO, my manager told me so, because it's like a free hypervisor but I never installed LPAR before. How do you install it? And if you can give more info on the two, that would be great. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. AIX

Discovery LPAR from HMC

Hi All, i would like to know if it's possible to know all the IP Addresses of all LPAR's interfaces from HMC (without connect into LPAR). And if i can know also the "Application" hostname of LPAR from HMC. Thanks in advance. Bye Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
2 Replies

6. AIX

List LPAR from VIOS

Hi guys, does anyone know how to get a list of the LPAR running on VIOS? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
5 Replies

7. AIX

VIOS LPAR Error 0518

I am trying to install AIX 5.3 on one of the LPARs through VIOS but I get this error 0518 Reference Code Selection 0518 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:20 AM UTC) Starting kernel (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC) AIX is starting. (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

8. AIX

Command to show HMC of this lpar?

Does anyone know of a command that can be run on the lpar to show the name of the lpars managing HMC? We have a large environment and records a little old on which HMC manages which lpars....if i could login to an lpar and just issue a command to show me its managing hmc that would be great. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Foiled
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hmc lpar console integration

We want to integrate powervm by using openstack with hmc. Now we encounter problem with the console, we can open the terminal within hmc, and I think hmc using tech java applet. sample applet code like <applet codebase="https://172.16.28.174/hmc/"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle
0 Replies

10. AIX

IBM VIOS AIX HMC Error

hello P6 was managed by HMC, tried to install on it VIOS 2.2.6 and got this error message Hosting requires a hosting partition -- boot not permitted vios-4 - imgbb.com then after creating an lpar in HMC got this message B2001230 vios-3 - imgbb.com anyone know how to solve this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)					      General Commands Manual					       bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)

NAME
bssh/bvnc/bshell - Browse for SSH/VNC servers on the local network SYNOPSIS
bssh bvnc bshell DESCRIPTION
bssh/bvnc/bshell browses for SSH/VNC servers on the local network, shows them in a GUI for the user to select one and finally calls ssh/vncviewer after a selection was made. If the binary is called as bssh only ssh servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bvnc only VNC servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bshell both VNC and SSH servers are shown. OPTIONS
-s | --ssh Browse for SSH servers (and only SSH servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -v | --vnc Browse for VNC servers (and only VNC servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -S | --shell Browse for both VNC and SSH servers regardless under which name the binary is called. -d | --domain= DOMAIN Browse in the specified domain. If omitted bssh/bvnc/bshell will browse in the default browsing domain (usually .local) -h | --help Show help. SEE ALSO
avahi-browse(1), ssh(1), vncviewer(1) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)