Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need script to generate file. Post 302892611 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 13th of March 2014 04:32:31 PM
Old 03-13-2014
It's not that simple if the , within the quotes should not be field delimiters.
Especially if their count varies.
Yoda's solution works around it.

---------- Post updated at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:28 PM ----------

bakunin, your first example only works with ksh; most shells require a block
Code:
echo "a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h" | {
IFS="," read var1 var2 var3 var4
echo var1=$var1
echo var2=$var2
echo var3=$var3
echo var4=$var4
}

or a here document
Code:
IFS="," read var1 var2 var3 var4 << "_EOT"
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h
_EOT
echo var1=$var1
echo var2=$var2
echo var3=$var3
echo var4=$var4

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 03-13-2014 at 05:52 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify script to generate a log file

I've seen several examples of scripts in thise forum about having a script generate a log file. I have a script that is run from cron and that monitors a file system for a specfic filename(s) and then performs some actions on them. Normally I call this script from another script (which the one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To generate the FTP Script file

Hi, I am new to the shell programming., My requirement is , I have an shell file, which call internally the sql file, which generates 4 files on the directory., and then shell has to create the file which contains all the ftp commands to extract the files to different server for later... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konankir
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to generate html file using script?

Hi Friends I have an requirement that i need to generate html file using script. and the script output shold keep adding to that html file like tablewise. can anyone please help me out in this. thanks Krish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - help needed for creating a script to generate xml file from text file

Dear Members, I have a table in Oracle DB and one of its column name is INFO which has data in text format which we need to fetch in a script and create an xml file of a new table from the input. The contents of a single cell of INFO column is like: Area:app - aam Clean Up Criteria:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate csv file

Hello; I need to generate a csv file that contains a list of all the files in a particular server (from the root directory ie: \) that have a permission stamp of 777. I would like to create the csv so that it contains the following: server name, file name, full path name where file exists,... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed script to FTP a File and generate a quality checksum file

hi all i want a script to FTP a file and should generate a quality checksum file means when I FTP a file from one server to another server it should generate a QC file which should contain timestamp,no.of records in that file Thanks in advance saikumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate csv file

Dears, I am new in shell world and I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate .csv file

Dears,I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the file as an input the file will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
8 Replies
DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)							 1							DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)

debug_zval_dump - Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output

SYNOPSIS
void debug_zval_dump (mixed $variable, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output. PARAMETERS
o $variable - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 debug_zval_dump(3) example <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump(&$var1); ?> The above example will output: &string(11) "Hello World" refcount(3) Note Beware the refcount The refcount value returned by this function is non-obvious in certain circumstances. For example, a developer might expect the above example to indicate a refcount of 2. The third reference is created when actually calling debug_zval_dump(3). This behavior is further compounded when a variable is not passed to debug_zval_dump(3) by reference. To illustrate, consider a slightly modified version of the above example: Example #2 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump($var1); // not passed by reference, this time ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(1) Why refcount(1)? Because a copy of $var1 is being made, when the function is called. This function becomes even more confusing when a variable with a refcount of 1 is passed (by copy/value): Example #3 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; debug_zval_dump($var1); ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(2) A refcount of 2, here, is extremely non-obvious. Especially considering the above examples. So what's happening? When a variable has a single reference (as did $var1 before it was used as an argument to debug_zval_dump(3)), PHP's engine opti- mizes the manner in which it is passed to a function. Internally, PHP treats $var1 like a reference (in that the refcount is increased for the scope of this function), with the caveat that if the passed reference happens to be written to, a copy is made, but only at the moment of writing. This is known as "copy on write." So, if debug_zval_dump(3) happened to write to its sole parameter (and it doesn't), then a copy would be made. Until then, the parameter remains a reference, causing the refcount to be incremented to 2 for the scope of the function call. SEE ALSO
var_dump(3), debug_backtrace(3), References Explained, References Explained (by Derick Rethans). PHP Documentation Group DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)