Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pvcreate vs disk partioning
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Pvcreate vs disk partioning Post 302892478 by saurabh84g on Wednesday 12th of March 2014 10:04:13 PM
Old 03-12-2014
Thanks for the link...When i started looking for answer i came across this link and the below one as well

https://access.redhat.com/site/docum...vol_admin.html

Code:
4.2.1.1. Setting the Partition Type
If you are using a whole disk device for your physical volume, the  disk must have no partition table. 
For DOS disk partitions, the  partition id should be set to 0x8e using the fdisk or cfdisk  command or 
an equivalent. For whole disk devices only the partition  table must be erased, which will effectively 
destroy all data on that  disk. You can remove an existing partition table by zeroing the first  sector 
with the following command: 				
# dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1

4.2.1.2. Initializing Physical Volumes

Use the pvcreate command to initialize a block device to be used as a physical volume. Initialization
 is analogous to formatting a file system.

Still not much information to draw a conclusion....

Last edited by fpmurphy; 03-21-2014 at 06:00 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partioning Drives

I have this 36 GB harddisk which houses the root partition along with a 28 GB partion for the rest of the data. The thing I wish to do is that partition this 28 GB into two partions. I have never partitioned the root disk. I just wanted to know whether is it possible to do when the disk is online... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with installing/partioning/Sol8

I have search the archives with no luck. Looking for help with my specific system. I have an SUN ULTRA 2 with dual 4.3GB HD's. I installed Solaris 8 with default settings (auto configure)and 2nd drive was partioned /export/home/extra as the only mount(4.3 G's). I then reinstalled the OS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Partioning scheme

Hi I have a sun server. Recently I have attached a new 80 GB disk. I would like to install the Solaris OS on this disk. Now I would be installing some database on this disk. I have decided to allocate a slice of 20GB or DB2 and one more slice of 20GB for Sybase. The / partition would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Partioning HDD

Hi theres I am quite new to solaris, I have 40GB HDD in which I have created only 10 GB partition & installed solaris 10. Now I want to add another 10GB from remaining 30GB space. I tried this with format utility but I get stuck after I create fdsik partition. After creating this I cant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i_mroy
1 Replies

5. Linux

Partioning Disks In Linux

Hi, group Just wondering suppose you have linux already installed & now you get a new disk so that your computer has two disks. How do you go about partitioning/slicing the new disk in linux ? which utility do you use ? Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Msororaji
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Partioning of Disks on Red Hat Linux

Hello I have two disks on Red Hat Linux box. Disk one has been installed Linux Operating system. The disk two has been partitioned as one disk with 100 GB on the partition /dev/hda1. Right now, I want to modify it as 5 partitions. I like to partition disk 2 into 5 partitions. One... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukas_pise
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

pvcreate not working

I have few new EMC disks assigned from Stroage. I can pvcreate small disks (8.7GB), but bigger disks (71GB) are giving problem. -f also doesn't help. root@tlcqr201:/> pvcreate /dev/emcpowerge /dev/emcpowerge: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error /dev/emcpowerge: read failed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pvcreate can't open /dev/xvda2 exclusively mounted filesystem

I downloaded the oracle linux 6.7 from RHEL, I wanted to extend the storage for "/" from default 16GB to say 200GB. Here's the steps I tried is : 1. Init 1 2. Using “fdisk /dev/xvda” , delete the swap /dev/xvda3 as well as /dev/xvda2 3. Re-create /dev/xvda2 with linux LVM using new end blocks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alnhk
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Pvcreate can't open /dev/xvda2 exclusively mounted filesystem

I downloaded the RH Linux 6.7 from RHEL, I wanted to extend the storage for "/" from default 16GB to say 200GB. Here’s the steps I tried is : 1. Init 1 2. Using “fdisk /dev/xvda” , delete the swap /dev/xvda3 as well as /dev/xvda2 3. Re-create /dev/xvda2 with linux LVM using new end... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
7 Replies
FDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  FDISK(8)

NAME
fdisk - partition a hard disk [IBM] SYNOPSIS
fdisk [-hm] [-sn] [file] OPTIONS
-h Number of disk heads is m -s Number of sectors per track is n EXAMPLES
fdisk /dev/hd0 # Examine disk partitions fdisk -h9 /dev/hd0 # Examine disk with 9 heads DESCRIPTION
When fdisk starts up, it reads in the partition table and displays it. It then presents a menu to allow the user to modify partitions, store the partition table on a file, or load it from a file. Partitions can be marked as MINIX, DOS or other, as well as active or not. Using fdisk is self-explanatory. However, be aware that repartitioning a disk will cause information on it to be lost. Rebooting the sys- tem immediately is mandatory after changing partition sizes and parameters. MINIX, XENIX, PC-IX, and MS-DOS all have different partition numbering schemes. Thus when using multiple systems on the same disk, be careful. Note that MINIX, unlike MS-DOS , cannot access the last sector in a partition with an odd number of sectors. The reason that odd partition sizes do not cause a problem with MS-DOS is that MS-DOS allocates disk space in units of 512-byte sectors, whereas MINIX uses 1K blocks. Fdisk has a variety of other features that can be seen by typing h. Fdisk normally knows the geometry of the device by asking the driver. You can use the -h and -s options to override the numbers found. SEE ALSO
part(8). FDISK(8)