Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sum product of even/odd lines Post 302892315 by SriniShoo on Wednesday 12th of March 2014 07:40:14 AM
Old 03-12-2014
If you are so sure about what you said, below is the code
Code:
awk '{out = 0; for(i = 2; i <= NF; i++) {if(i % 2 == 0) {p = $i} else {out = out + (p * $i)}}; print out}' file

This User Gave Thanks to SriniShoo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the sum of all the lines in the file

Hi I have the following file, how I will calculate the sum of all the entries in the file. > cat abc 2 3 4 now the sum should be 2+3+4 = 9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print ODD lines

i want to print ODD lines like first ,third then fifth and so on 234,567,ABC,KJL 234,565,ABD,KJL 234,568,ABE,KJL 234,560,ABF,KJL 234,563,ABG,KJL 234,562,ABH,KJL O/P will be like 234,567,ABC,KJL ----->first liine 234,568,ABE,KJL ----->third line 234,563,ABG,KJL ----->fifth line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

odd problem in read lines from file

Hi, I wrote a small program to read lines from a file and count the lines. The program is as below: filename=$1 count=0 cat $filename | while read -r line do printf "%5d:%s\n" $count "$line" count=$((count + 1)) done echo " $count " After I run the program, the result is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for pattern in odd lines?

Hi friends, I am looking for sed command/script that would search for a given fixed pattern on odd lines and then if it matches, prints the matching pattern and the next line. For example, in the example below, i am looking for pattern 0 and 1011 on odd lines. ########## start of example file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert at the beginning of odd lines

Hello people, I am trying with sed to insert some text at the beginning of each odd line of a file but no luck. Can you please help. Awk is also suitable but I am not very familiar with it. Thank you in advance for any help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character in odd or even lines

Hello, I'm here again asking for your precious help. I'm writing some code to convert csv files to html. I want to highlight header and also I want to have rows with alternate colors. So far this is my work###Let's format first line only with some color cat $fileIN".tmp1" | sed '1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find to delete lines with pattern and even or odd number

In the below directory I am trying to delete all lines with a .bam extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an even number. I am also trying to delete all lines with a .fastq extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an odd number. I was going to use find but can see all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)