Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk query
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk query Post 302892275 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 11:07:45 PM
Old 03-12-2014
As long as the lines with matching field 3 values are on adjacent lines (as they are in the sample input), there is no need to read the input file twice:
Code:
awk -F '|' '
save {	if($3 == last3 && $5 == -last5) {
		save = 0
		next
	}
}
{	if(save) print last0
	save = 1
	last0 = $0
	last3 = $3
	last5 = $5
}
END {	if(save) print last0
}' sample

produces the desired output only reading the input once.

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk instead of the default /usr/bin/awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query In awk

Is it possible to have a pattern as RS in awk. For Example pl. go through the statement; " Account Serial Number: 88888888 TT00X000000XXXXXXXXXXXXX SS00X000000XX.000,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0000XXXXXXX0000000000 WW00X0000000XX000000000000MMMMMMM MMMMMMM0000AA11110000000000000000000000000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query in awk

file "batsmen" contains Bradman;Australia;52;6996 Gavaskar;India;124;10122 Sobers;West;Indies;93;8032 Border;Australia;109;8075 Miandad;Pakistan;97;7121 Gower;England;94;7023 Boycott;England;108;8114 My awk script contains awk '{FS=";"} {len=length($1)}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some query in awk

Hi , I want to assign a value to variable which will have size of the file that is we have following files for eg: ls -ltr -rw-rw-r-- 1 dsadmin dstage 34 Oct 29 12:14 some.txt -rw-rw-r-- 1 dsadmin dstage 0 Oct 29 14:52 eg.txt -rwxrwxr-x 1 dsadmin dstage 1453 Oct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Gsub Query

Hi, Can some one please explain the following line please throw some light on the ones marked in red awk '{print $9}' ${FTP_LOG} | awk -v start=${START_DATE} 'BEGIN { FS = "." } { old_line1=$0; gsub(/\-/,""); if ( $3 >= start ) print old_line1 }' | awk -v end=${END_DATE} 'BEGIN { FS="." } {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crosairs
3 Replies

5. Solaris

awk output query

Hi Everyone, When i issue command like ls -l | awk '/udtts/ {print $9}' =============================== I am getting output as udttsGEHLNAR.6864 udttsGEHLNAR.7921 udttsNARALAX.15415 udttsNARALAX.18016 But I want output after dot i.e like 6864 7921 15415 18016 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk query

I have a set of multiple files out of which one i am showing below : A0120110124102329 BED. B01***DETALLADA 43984 The BO1 is the starting pattern of the second line. In the 2nd line in position 30,31,32 i need to replace 111, instead of 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Query

i have a log file where in i have 3 columns a 11 test1 b 22 test2 in a script, i want to pass first column as an argument to awk so that i can get the second and third column respectively Example : If i pass ($1 i.e 'a' to an awk, the result should be 11 test1) i tried different awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk query

Dear all, I find a shell script about awk command in the forum regarding "Find and replace duplicate column values in a row" In this thread, there is a command line as shown below to replace duplicate awk -F, '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){if (v++){b=$i;$i=""}};print $0} END { print "dups are"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk - query about arrays

Hello again, I have example config file with two arrays: tab1="name1 surname1" tab1="name2 surname2" tab1="name3 surname3" tab2="First" tab2="Second"and csv file: "aaaaa","surname1","name1","ddddd,eeeee","ffffff","ggggg","3","2012/02/22 12:25:21","2012/02/22... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haczyk
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Query on awk

Hello, I am trying to find the RAM usage for one of the process from a group of servers. xx-Process name The command i used by logging to the individual server is as below ps aux | grep xx | awk '{sum=sum+$6}; END {print sum/1024 " MB"}' And the result is 0.824219 MB This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextStep
4 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD