Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort String using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort String using awk Post 302892252 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 06:08:13 PM
Old 03-11-2014
Try (using a bubble sort algorithm):
Code:
echo  " PQR, ABCddf, LMNS, AAAB "|
awk '
  {
    do {
      c="";
      for(i=1;i<NF;i++){
        if($i>$(i+1)){
          c=$i; $i=$(i+1); $(i+1)=c
        }
      }
    }
    while(c!="")
  }
' FS=, OFS=,

or using GNU awk:
Code:
gawk '
  {
     n=split($0,F)
     asort(F)
     for(i=1; i<=n; i++) $i=F[i]
  }
' FS=, OFS=,

It happens to go right with the spaces that are being used, but be either careful to leave out spaces or add some code to remove the spaces...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-12-2014 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: optimization

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a string with numbers

Hi, I need help to sort a file contents. I am using sort -r option to basically reverse the comparison in descending order. However, i found out that my file is not sorted according, can anyone please help. My data is something like:- Hello world 20.982342864 343 19.234355545 222... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort entire line based on part of the string

hey gurus, my-build1-abc my-build10-abc my-build2-abc my-build22-abc my-build3-abc basically i want to numerically sort the entire lines based on the build number. I dont zero pad the numbers because thats "how it is" ;-) sort -n won't work because it starts from the beginning. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpal2000
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort based on string lenght.

I'm not familiar with find. If i use find in a certain directory i want it to show based on hierarchy. find . type d fol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol2 fol2/subfol2 i want it to show like this fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1 fol2/subfol2 fol2 do i need to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require help to sort string

Hi Folks, Currently am working with 10g db. I want to sort the below o/p. Current output: ============ SQL> select partition_name from user_tab_partitions where table_name='USER_AUDIT'; PARTITION_NAME ------------------------------ PARTMAX PART_AUDIT_NOV02 PART_AUDIT_NOV08... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort lines in the string

Hi guys, I am trying to sort numbers in the string in descending order but for some reason sort fails. n129$ echo "81 240" | sort -r 81 240 n129$ I am not sure what am I doing wrong. Is there a 100% reliable way to make sure that sort will always work. I mean on SUNS and IBM machines. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort only numbers within a string

Hi, I am having contents in a file like below, cat testfile rpool/swap rpool/swap14 rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 I want to sort the above contents like, rpool/swap rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 rpool/swap14 I have tried in this way, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)