Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to identify particular section using sed? Post 302892251 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 05:53:10 PM
Old 03-11-2014
T + 119 arbitrary characters = 120. The curly braces with the back slash ( \{ and \} are interval expressions, they repeat the part before it. So .\{119\} means 119 consecutive arbitrary characters.. and \{8\} means 8 spaces.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-12-2014 at 09:50 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk--get section of file based 2 params

I need to get a section of a file based on 2 params. I want the part of the file between param 1 & 2. I have tried a bunch of ways and just can't seem to get it right. Can someone please help me out.....its much appreciated. Here is what I have found that looks like what I want....but doesn't... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy Cook
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to duplicate a section of a file....

hello all, I have a file like this: section 1 blah1 blah2 section 2 blah1 blah2 section 3 blah1 blah2 and I want to use sed to duplicate section 2, like this: section 1 blah1 blah2 section 2 blah1 blah2 section 2 blah1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick26
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed : identify a pattern and append a word at the end of a line

Hello to all, On aix, I want to identify a term on a line in a file and then add a word at the end of the line identified. I do not want the word to be added when the line contains the symbol "#". I use the following command, but it deletes the term identified then adds the word. #sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help identify string using sed

I have the following output and would like to only identify strings with "vw" at the end. Here is the file contents: SELECT n.contract_num, n.descr, s.prj_level2_cf_val, r.descr, r.project_id, p.offering_id, o.n_cust_contract, u.name1, ' ', ' ', SUM (0), TO_CHAR (t.start_dt, 'YYYY-MM-DD'),... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobroberts369
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - String substitution within specified section in ini type file

Hello. I am trying to modify a config file which is in windows *.ini type file. I have found a piece of code here :linux - Edit file in unix using SED - Stack Overflow As I can't make it doing the job , I am trying to find a solution step by step. here a modified sample file : my_sample.ini... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Section Removal With sed; and With a Twist . . .

Hello folks! Raised a bump on my head trying to figure this one out ;) I have an xml file which needs to be edited, removing an entire property section in the work. Here's what the target section layout looks like: <property name="something"> {any number of lines go here} </property>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify exact text and then add a blank line above it using sed?

I need to identify the exact text of San Antonio Generator Running in the output my script which lands to a text file. Once SED finds the specific text, I need it to insert one line above the matched text. Here is what I have so far that isn't working all that well for me. Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to identify delimiter to find and replace a string with sed?

I need to find and replace a date format in a SQL script with sed. The original lines are like this: ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ep.begin_date <= '01-JUL-2019' ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
15 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD