Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove word with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove word with sed Post 302892114 by aydj on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 04:59:00 AM
Old 03-11-2014
Remove word with sed

How can I use sed or any utility to remove any word that begins with TRS-, I have tried sed
Code:
's/ERA.*//g'

but seems not to be working
Input:

Code:
23 TRS-458-9 345 235
45 TRS-42-5 423 000
76 300 234

Output:

Code:
23 345 235
45 423 000
76 300 234

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove first word

Hi, i have a question about to remove first word from a sentence. my script; #!/usr/bin/perl $msgtxt = "this is a test script"; my @ap_txtMsg = split(/ +/, trim_data($msgtxt)); $ap_msgtxt = splice (@ap_txtMsg, 0, 1); print $ap_msgtxt; but the output is first word that i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaysoul
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove particular word from file

Hi All, If my file is: Wed Sep 9 22:45:14 EDT 2009 sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> This is log file generated from transfer... sftp> sftp> sftp> sftp> Files placed properly.... sftp> sftp> sftp> How can I remove "sftp>" word from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to remove last word.

Hi, I have a file which has the following /u12/data/oracle/abc.dbf /u12/data/oracle/def.dbf /u12/data/oracle/daf.dbf /u12/data/oracledb/fgh.dbf /u12/data/oracledb/fkh.dbf /u12/data/oracledb/kdq.dbf I want to do something like this /u12/data/oracle /u12/data/oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to remove a word from string

Hello All, I am running a command find . -name amp.cfg | cut -c 3- which gives me output something like below rel/prod/amp.cfg rel/fld/amp.cfg deb/detail/amp.cfg deb/err/amp.cfg I want to remove trailing "/amp.cfg" so that i should get output something like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove first word?

Hi All, I want to remove the first word "cn=" from the below details. Only I want the number like 171345,174144... cn=171345 cn=174144 How can I achieve this. Please suggest. Thanks- P (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word before a character

Hi, I have a file which looks like this id integer, name string, create_dt date, I want to remove all words that are present before the character , My output should be id, name, create_dt, Thanks wah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - sed - Remove first word from line which can begin eventually with blank

hello. How to remove first word from line. The line may or may not start with blank. NEW_PARAM1=$(magic-command " -t --protocol=TCP -P 12345-u root -h localhost ") NEW_PARAM2=$(magic-command "-t --protocol=TCP -P 12345 -u root -h localhost ") I want NEW_PARAM1 equal to NEW_PARAM2 equal ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Please remove the word from posts

Hi Sir, Need your help in removing the following words from the posts . These are confidential info posted by mistake and our organization is doing an audit on this. Could you kindly remove as per below. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/197017-perl-help.html ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
4 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)