Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap memory issue
Operating Systems Linux Swap memory issue Post 302892071 by ratheeshjulk on Monday 10th of March 2014 05:21:42 PM
Old 03-10-2014
Swap memory issue

Hi,

In our production box i can see the Swap space using the below command
Code:
 free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      65963232   41041084   24922148          0     877160   35936292
-/+ buffers/cache:    4227632   61735600
Swap:      4192880    1915204    2277676

I heard in forums SWAP space should be double the size of RAM or atleast half of it.

Also with TOP command and sorted on Swap i got the below output
Code:
13554 db2inst1  18   0 5648m 473m 463m S  0.0  0.7  13:38.10 5.1g db2sysc
 1979 root      21   0 2880m 1.5g  30m S  0.0  2.4  28:39.52 1.3g java

The first two entries itself will add up above 6GB
How come one command shows the SWAP as less than 4GB and the top command show as used more than 6GB.

We had few performance issue in the prod box. trying to analyse some good practice on memory setup

Code:
uname -a
Linux XXXXXXXXXX 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 28 01:54:56 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

NOTE: swappiness is 60

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Total Memory/Swap Memory

I need to put a program together to determine the total, available memory and total and available swap on unix machines. I have been searching for weeks and I seem to run into dead ends. Every unix platform I look at has a different way to determine memory info. Any sugggestions or new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghe1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

swap memory

Hi Can any help me on setting the swap memory ? I would like to set swap memory for installing oracle 9i software. RAM - 512 Mb HDD - 40 Gb OS - Sun Solaris 5.9 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaramat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap memory

Hi, I want to see used swap memory I know that for this there is command free -m but this shows Swap: 16383 4529 11854 by top command while load is 1.05 max CPU % 24 mysqld why used swap shows 4529 either it is not flushed there is other command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

6. Solaris

No Space Left - Memory/Swap issue

:wall:I'm having a bit of a problem with Solaris 10u8 and one of our applications requesting memory and being told, "no space left". The break down: 24GB Physical Memory 8GB swap at the time of occurance, here's what a memory breakdown looks like: Page Summary Pages ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: aychbee45
21 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Threshold for swap memory

hi guys the monitoring team is using a tool for monitoring linux boxes and they set an alarm for swap memory to 10%(critical) I really has no idea when swap memory usage is high.... Can someone recommend me a threshold for this? when is warning or critical and this parameters can affect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

How much Swap memory do i have ?

here is the output of swapinfo command ==> swapinfo Kb Kb Kb PCT START/ Kb TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME dev 8192000 0 8184000 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/swap reserve - 8184000 -8184000 memory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory

Hi team, Is there any ability to force the system to use the swap memory for a specific service? And prevent another service of using the swap memory? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

SWAP memory

Admins, How can I configure the server so that it will utilize the swap file as little as possible? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would say change the value of sysctl - vm.swappiness? And if, how can I keep it permenatly even after rebooting the system? since no related parameters in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies
SYSTEMD.SWAP(5) 						   systemd.swap 						   SYSTEMD.SWAP(5)

NAME
systemd.swap - Swap unit configuration SYNOPSIS
swap.swap DESCRIPTION
A unit configuration file whose name ends in ".swap" encodes information about a swap device or file for memory paging controlled and supervised by systemd. This man page lists the configuration options specific to this unit type. See systemd.unit(5) for the common options of all unit configuration files. The common configuration items are configured in the generic [Unit] and [Install] sections. The swap specific configuration options are configured in the [Swap] section. Additional options are listed in systemd.exec(5), which define the execution environment the swapon(8) binary is executed in, and in systemd.kill(5), which define the way the processes are terminated, and in systemd.resource-control(5), which configure resource control settings for the processes of the service. Swap units must be named after the devices or files they control. Example: the swap device /dev/sda5 must be configured in a unit file dev-sda5.swap. For details about the escaping logic used to convert a file system path to a unit name, see systemd.unit(5). All swap units automatically get the appropriate dependencies on the devices or on the mount points of the files they are activated from. Swap units with DefaultDependencies= enabled implicitly acquire a conflicting dependency to umount.target so that they are deactivated at shutdown. FSTAB
Swap units may either be configured via unit files, or via /etc/fstab (see fstab(5) for details). Swaps listed in /etc/fstab will be converted into native units dynamically at boot and when the configuration of the system manager is reloaded. See systemd-fstab- generator(8) for details about the conversion. If a swap device or file is configured in both /etc/fstab and a unit file, the configuration in the latter takes precedence. Unless the noauto option is set for them all swap units configured in /etc/fstab are also added as requirements to swap.target, so that they are waited for and activated during boot. OPTIONS
Swap files must include a [Swap] section, which carries information about the swap device it supervises. A number of options that may be used in this section are shared with other unit types. These options are documented in systemd.exec(5) and systemd.kill(5). The options specific to the [Swap] section of swap units are the following: What= Takes an absolute path of a device node or file to use for paging. See swapon(8) for details. If this refers to a device node, a dependency on the respective device unit is automatically created. (See systemd.device(5) for more information.) If this refers to a file, a dependency on the respective mount unit is automatically created. (See systemd.mount(5) for more information.) This option is mandatory. Priority= Swap priority to use when activating the swap device or file. This takes an integer. This setting is optional. TimeoutSec= Configures the time to wait for the swapon command to finish. If a command does not exit within the configured time, the swap will be considered failed and be shut down again. All commands still running will be terminated forcibly via SIGTERM, and after another delay of this time with SIGKILL. (See KillMode= in systemd.kill(5).) Takes a unit-less value in seconds, or a time span value such as "5min 20s". Pass 0 to disable the timeout logic. Defaults to TimeoutStartSec= in manager configuration file. Check systemd.exec(5) and systemd.kill(5) for more settings. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(8), systemd.unit(5), systemd.exec(5), systemd.kill(5), systemd.resource-control(5), systemd.device(5), systemd.mount(5), swapon(8), systemd-fstab-generator(8), systemd.directives(7) systemd 208 SYSTEMD.SWAP(5)