Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Network tuning parameters on AIX Post 302891930 by bakunin on Sunday 9th of March 2014 07:01:30 PM
Old 03-09-2014
There are several tuning parameters for the kernel/network stack. The commands to set and query these "tunables" in IBM speak are:

no
schedo
vmo
ioo

All these commands share the same syntax:
-a display the current settings (even the defaults)
-o set the respective parameter
-p make the change of the parameter permanent

The way by which the commands work is: there is a directory /etc/tunables in which two files reside: nextboot and lastboot. Every tuning parameter which is not default will be listed in one of these. lastboot only holds the current values and at boot time it is overwritten by a copy of nextboot. If you change a parameter for the current boot cycle the change will be reflected there. If you choose to make a change permanent it gets written into nextboot and will be made active with the next boot.

You can edit nextboot with any plain text editor, but it is not wise to edit lastboot. Use the commands instead because they will also make the changes you intend active by restarting the respective services/daemons/... .

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Disk tuning parameters

I swapped out 2 72 gb disk drives for 2 146 gb drives, both of which spin at 15k. Are there any I/O parameters I should modify or can modify to get the most out of the new disks? Thanks, Mike M. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gravy26
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tuning kernel parameters

Can only root do this, or can other users too? if other users can, do they have to be given permission, and if so, is there a file or something that stores this? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tuning AIX IO

Hi I am trying to investigate a disk performance issue, and we are not seem to be hitting the right direction in our analysis. This is a FC disk running on USP1000 HDS system. The application is an IO intensive application, but our opinion is that it is not performing due to perceived disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theerthan
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX

How to do Performance monitoring and tuning in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

5. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX Tuning For DB2

Dear friends. can anybody suggest me what to be considered in order to achieve maximum performance of AIX on which DB2 will be installed Thanks is advance :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

7. AIX

Tuning AIX for oracle

Dears i want to have a clear view about this tuning parameters and what they related to FS or Oracle , and how to figure the percentage of them . maxperm% maxclient% v_pinshm = 1 lgpg_regions = 0 lpgp_size = 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
3 Replies

8. AIX

New to AIX tcpip tuning

For some reason, my AIX 5.2 box has become slow in accepting telnet requests from others boxes. Windows, times out the connection, whereas, Unix it will wait for the AIX to display the login. I connect and it respawns back and says connected, but then sits and wait for what seems forever to get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 memory tuning

Greetings, i'm wondering if there is a way to determine minimum memory requirement for AIX kernel and OS functions? We use memdetails script from perfpmr package to see actual memory allocation, for example like this: ===========================================================================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzodzo
5 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning

I have a IBM Power9 server coupled with a NVMe StorWize V7000 GEN3 storage, doing some benchmarks and noticing that single thread I/O (80% Read / 20% Write, common OLTP I/O profile) seems slow. ./xdisk -R0 -r80 -b 8k -M 1 -f /usr1/testing -t60 -OD -V BS Proc AIO read% IO Flag IO/s ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
8 Replies
loratune(1M)															      loratune(1M)

NAME
loratune - initiate LORA tuneup to improve alignment of processing resources SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command improves the performance of an HP-UX system in LORA (Locality-Optimizated Resource Alignment) mode, by triggering the kernel to do optimization tuning of the system and application memory. The command may return before the tuning is complete. This tuning can continue in the background for several minutes after the command returns. If the command is interrupted, or the command process is otherwise terminated, no subsequent tuning operations will be initiated, but those in progress will continue until completion. When no options are specified, all locality domains are tuned. Options This option limits the tuning to the locality domain specified by lid. Application Usage In Locality-Optimized Resource Alignment (LORA) mode, performance of applications may improve when their processors and the memory that they use are aligned in the same locality. The HP-UX kernel attempts to maintain such alignment at all times, but it is possible for mis- alignment to occur when the system workload transitions significantly. If that happens, the command can be used to reestablish alignment and improve application performance. Here are some examples of workload transition events that may cause misalignment of processing resources: o Starting or terminating an application that consumes a large amount of processor or memory resources. o The workload demand surges far above the normal level and then recedes. o Dynamic platform operations that add or subtract processor or memory resources from the operating system's control. If one of those events has occurred, and application performance is not as high as it can be, then it is appropriate to invoke the command. RETURN VALUES
The command returns a 0 when successful, and a non-zero value when unsuccessful. ERRORS
The command will not initiate any tuning and will return a non-zero value if the user does not have appropriate privilege. WARNINGS
The command can consume a significant amount of system processing resources to restore optimal alignment. Ideally, the command should be invoked prior to the time when performance is critical, not during the time when performance is critical. The command should be invoked after the workload transition is complete, not during workload transition. Although tuning can continue in the background for several min- utes, it is not necessary to wait any more than five minutes between invoking the command and launching new applications. EXAMPLES
If eight instances of SAP were running in localities with locality domain identifiers 4 and 5, and four of those instances were shut down, then it would be appropriate to tuneup the remaining four instances. An example command would be: If an HP-UX system in LORA mode had one of its cells deactivated, then it would be appropriate to tuneup the entire system. An example command would be: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
mpsched(1), numa_policy(5), lora(7). Itanium(R)-based Systems Only loratune(1M)