Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Learning - UNIX Programming Questions Post 302891725 by Scrutinizer on Friday 7th of March 2014 01:00:53 PM
Old 03-07-2014
Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where does programming questions go?

I am a basic programmer from way back. I moved on to visual basic when the time came but have always wanted to learn C. Now that I am on linux, I am ready for the push. Where would be the appropiate fourm to discuss programming? Thanks, Eric (wanting to learn) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wizkid
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Learning Unix

Hello one and all I am a Prof in a University in France and have been handed the "Unix" course and would like to know if anyone has a ready made course to propose to me for beginners, my students are in t heir first year and a few are ok with Unix, however i would like to find a detailed "lesson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garydavies
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where to obtain UNIX and learning on a UNIX variant?

Hi. I've just started to get into UNIX. Researched on the Net, found out that most of the UNIX variants are not offered online. 1. Any of you guys know where I could obtain them on the Net? or anywhere at all? 2. Does learning a UNIX variant enough to cover an understanding of other UNIX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninelives1980
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi guys! Am new to this forum so would like to say hello to all. Was wondering, what the best way to learn UNIX was? Theoretically or Practically? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibah11
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix

Hi all, and thanks for viewing this thread. I have never used the terminal (UNIX) before, not until I read an introductory book about it: Unix for Mac OS X Tiger. Now I've become intrigued, and I want to uncover more of the mysteries of Unix. I've searched and searched, but there are many books... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hin
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning unix

Hi, i have started to learn unix (on and off for the past few months) and am wishing to move into that area in the administration field of it. I have been working in the help desk area (desktop support - windows based) for about 2.5 years and moved into a team leading role for 1 year in which i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donnieDarko
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi Everyone, I know nothing about Solaris / Linux / AIX but I know they are all part of Unix. I have been using Windows the last 15years and I have been a LAN admin, I am now working in IT Operations and we use some solaris commands but not much plus its from following a document so we can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxie
1 Replies

9. Programming

What Programming language should I start learning first?

I want to create a computer program that will translate from English to Spanish and vice versa. So someone could type in a word, phrase, or paragraph and translate from one language to another. What programming language would I use to write up the code and then implement this program? I want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux