Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match string against character class in bash Post 302891677 by balajesuri on Friday 7th of March 2014 08:21:12 AM
Old 03-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniShoo
Hi Balaji, I guess, this will fail if ${1}=''
True, there are no validation checks. It was just meant for the OP to get started :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and POSIX character class

can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've been trying to play with character classes and I seem to be missing something here..! echo "./comparecdna.summary" | awk '/^compare+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo "./compare_cdna.summary" | awk '/^compare_+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - get specific character from the string

Hi! If I want to extract a character from a specific position of a string, I can use ${string:1:1} (if I want character at the position 1). How can I do the same thing, when the number of position is contained in the variable? ${string:$var:1}doesn't work, unfortunately. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to remove the last character of a string?

In bash, how can one remove the last character of a string? In perl, the chop function would remove the last character. However, I do not know how to do the same job in bash. Many thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script search file and insert character when match found

Hi I need a bash script that can search through a text file and when it finds 'FSS1206' I need to put a Letter F 100 spaces after the second instance of FSS1206 The format is the same throughout the file I need to repeat this on every time it finds the second 'FSS1206' in the file I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I match the particular character in the string?

Hi, I want to check out a word in the text file and generate a clear report for me to see... The text file content: Content: ............ 20120608: 20120608: ............ 20120608: .......... 2012031201: , hime] End of the file My expected output is: Full TXT: manatsu TXT:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meroko
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Pulling first and last character in string

I am writing a bash script that will find all references to the “Well_List” in the “Comp_File”. I am filtering a Well_List that contains the following: TEST_WELL_01 TEST_WELL_02 TEST_WELL_11 TEST_WELL_22 GOV_WELL_1 GOV_WELL_201 PUB_WELL_57 PUB_WELL_82 . . Comparison... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petfyp
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex issue with \s in character class.

Anybody have an explanation for why \s doesn't match ' ' in a character class? Here are 3 examples with the final example showing that \s in a character class (demonstrated by using egrep -o) fails: \s works outside of class.. # echo " FOO " | egrep -o '\s+\s' FOO Here is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackrageous
6 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)