Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass password and prompt user for IP address while doing ssh and scp? Post 302891606 by blackrageous on Thursday 6th of March 2014 05:48:14 PM
Old 03-06-2014
FYI... a .netrc file is the traditional means to automate login into ftp servers. Ftp as well as the use of .netrc files are not recommended.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sftp/scp/ssh script with password as authentication

Hello, Do you guys know set of commands that can incorporate to sftp/scp/ssh to add password in a script to automate file transfer. Our client is not using ssh keys authentication so we are force to create a script to pass the password into the script to transfer files via sftp/scp/ssh. We... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: james_falco
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

No command prompt after SSH/SCP

Recently whenever I log out of an SSH session, or copy something using SCP, I get no response from my shell. Running with ssh -v showed no errors when exiting. Normally I could deal with this, but I believe it's causing errors elsewhere when scripts try to download things from external... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keymakerOvvvv
0 Replies

3. Linux

SSH user equivalency still prompt for password

Hi All, I've followed the exact same steps of how to setup and enable SSH user equivalent including the right permission, but when I "ssh" it still prompts for password. Could you help to see what I did wrong? I appreciate any helps. :confused: server1.com:/u01/oracle RAC1 > mkdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH version of rlogin (ie without password prompt)

I have 3 Solaris 10 UNIX servers, the shadow and passwd file are all identical and are automatically sync every 5 minutes. A majority of the users do not have CLI access but rather use a menu. I currently have menu options that allows them to rlogin to another server and I need to have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: creedonjm
1 Replies

5. Solaris

expired password prompt at ssh login

Hi, I am using DSEE 6.3 to authenticate and authorize my Solaris 9 and 10 users. Everything works fine except password expiration. I use built-in global password policy for all users. The policy works well. However I could not find the right pam configuration in order to prompt users at ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niyazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the password as input parameter to scp

Dear all Does anybody know how to pass the password as input parameter to scp or rsync in unix scripts? I have tried echo <password> | scp filename username@<ip address>:/filepath/ . But it does not work. BTW, I dont want to setup ssh trust between servers in this adhoc task. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
2 Replies

7. Programming

Test SSH but do not return password prompt

Hello forum, I want to have a function to test for passwordless SSH setup. Pretty simple. However, what I'm finding difficult is to NOT return a password prompt to screen IF it's not in place. Here's the function: check_passwordless_ssh_working() #check passed parameter, assuming it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to pass value to user prompt from calling shell script

This is my script structure main script calls configure script which needs to be run as a different user and the configure script calls my application installation script. the application instruction script prompts the user for a directory which I need to pass from my main or configure script. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmastays
4 Replies

9. SuSE

SLES 11.2 slow SSH password prompt

We are having an issue with slow password prompts via SSH login on all of our SLES 11.2 boxes. The output from a ssh -v login attempt shows a delay here: debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT receivedThis issue only happens on the first logon of the day; subsequent logons are normal. Adding the client's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)