Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass password and prompt user for IP address while doing ssh and scp? Post 302891606 by blackrageous on Thursday 6th of March 2014 05:48:14 PM
Old 03-06-2014
FYI... a .netrc file is the traditional means to automate login into ftp servers. Ftp as well as the use of .netrc files are not recommended.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sftp/scp/ssh script with password as authentication

Hello, Do you guys know set of commands that can incorporate to sftp/scp/ssh to add password in a script to automate file transfer. Our client is not using ssh keys authentication so we are force to create a script to pass the password into the script to transfer files via sftp/scp/ssh. We... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: james_falco
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

No command prompt after SSH/SCP

Recently whenever I log out of an SSH session, or copy something using SCP, I get no response from my shell. Running with ssh -v showed no errors when exiting. Normally I could deal with this, but I believe it's causing errors elsewhere when scripts try to download things from external... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keymakerOvvvv
0 Replies

3. Linux

SSH user equivalency still prompt for password

Hi All, I've followed the exact same steps of how to setup and enable SSH user equivalent including the right permission, but when I "ssh" it still prompts for password. Could you help to see what I did wrong? I appreciate any helps. :confused: server1.com:/u01/oracle RAC1 > mkdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH version of rlogin (ie without password prompt)

I have 3 Solaris 10 UNIX servers, the shadow and passwd file are all identical and are automatically sync every 5 minutes. A majority of the users do not have CLI access but rather use a menu. I currently have menu options that allows them to rlogin to another server and I need to have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: creedonjm
1 Replies

5. Solaris

expired password prompt at ssh login

Hi, I am using DSEE 6.3 to authenticate and authorize my Solaris 9 and 10 users. Everything works fine except password expiration. I use built-in global password policy for all users. The policy works well. However I could not find the right pam configuration in order to prompt users at ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niyazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the password as input parameter to scp

Dear all Does anybody know how to pass the password as input parameter to scp or rsync in unix scripts? I have tried echo <password> | scp filename username@<ip address>:/filepath/ . But it does not work. BTW, I dont want to setup ssh trust between servers in this adhoc task. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
2 Replies

7. Programming

Test SSH but do not return password prompt

Hello forum, I want to have a function to test for passwordless SSH setup. Pretty simple. However, what I'm finding difficult is to NOT return a password prompt to screen IF it's not in place. Here's the function: check_passwordless_ssh_working() #check passed parameter, assuming it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to pass value to user prompt from calling shell script

This is my script structure main script calls configure script which needs to be run as a different user and the configure script calls my application installation script. the application instruction script prompts the user for a directory which I need to pass from my main or configure script. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmastays
4 Replies

9. SuSE

SLES 11.2 slow SSH password prompt

We are having an issue with slow password prompts via SSH login on all of our SLES 11.2 boxes. The output from a ssh -v login attempt shows a delay here: debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT receivedThis issue only happens on the first logon of the day; subsequent logons are normal. Adding the client's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies
PASSMASS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PASSMASS(1)

NAME
passmass - change password on multiple machines SYNOPSIS
passmass [ host1 host2 host3 ... ] INTRODUCTION
Passmass changes a password on multiple machines. If you have accounts on several machines that do not share password databases, Passmass can help you keep them all in sync. This, in turn, will make it easier to change them more frequently. When Passmass runs, it asks you for the old and new passwords. (If you are changing root passwords and have equivalencing, the old pass- word is not used and may be omitted.) Passmass understands the "usual" conventions. Additional arguments may be used for tuning. They affect all hosts which follow until another argument overrides it. For example, if you are known as "libes" on host1 and host2, but "don" on host3, you would say: passmass host1 host2 -user don host3 Arguments are: -user User whose password will be changed. By default, the current user is used. -rlogin Use rlogin to access host. (default) -slogin Use slogin to access host. -ssh Use ssh to access host. -telnet Use telnet to access host. -program Next argument is a program to run to set the password. Default is "passwd". Other common choices are "yppasswd" and "set passwd" (e.g., VMS hosts). A program name such as "password fred" can be used to create entries for new accounts (when run as root). -prompt Next argument is a prompt suffix pattern. This allows the script to know when the shell is prompting. The default is "# " for root and "% " for non-root accounts. -timeout Next argument is the number of seconds to wait for responses. Default is 30 but some systems can be much slower logging in. -su Next argument is 1 or 0. If 1, you are additionally prompted for a root password which is used to su after logging in. root's password is changed rather than the user's. This is useful for hosts which do not allow root to log in. HOW TO USE
The best way to run Passmass is to put the command in a one-line shell script or alias. Whenever you get a new account on a new machine, add the appropriate arguments to the command. Then run it whenever you want to change your passwords on all the hosts. CAVEATS
Using the same password on multiple hosts carries risks. In particular, if the password can be stolen, then all of your accounts are at risk. Thus, you should not use Passmass in situations where your password is visible, such as across a network which hackers are known to eavesdrop. On the other hand, if you have enough accounts with different passwords, you may end up writing them down somewhere - and that can be a security problem. Funny story: my college roommate had an 11"x13" piece of paper on which he had listed accounts and passwords all across the Internet. This was several years worth of careful work and he carried it with him everywhere he went. Well one day, he forgot to remove it from his jeans, and we found a perfectly blank sheet of paper when we took out the wash the following day! SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 7 October 1993 PASSMASS(1)