Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remote login and running a script on multiple servers Post 302891595 by Don Cragun on Thursday 6th of March 2014 04:03:46 PM
Old 03-06-2014
Let me try once more.

Text inside single quotes such as $process in the command:
Code:
rsh $HOST 'nohup $process.sh ... &'

will not be expanded on the local system.
Code:
HOST=ws1
process=abc
rsh $HOST 'nohup $process.sh >/dev/null &'

will run the command:
Code:
nohup $process.sh > /dev/null &

on ws1. However, if you use double quotes instead of single quotes:
Code:
HOST=ws1
process=abc
rsh $HOST "nohup $process.sh >/dev/null &"

will run the command:
Code:
nohup abc.sh > /dev/null &

on ws1.

I repeat for the last time: Since you are using single quotes, how is the variable process defined on the remote systems so that it will be an exported variable in the environment of the shell started by rsh on those remote systems?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into multiple servers thru script...

I need to login into multiple servers thru a script run couple commands and run find command as root. I only have ssh access to the servers as a user than I can "su" to root. If you have a similar script please post it. Also if you can suggest commands that I should consider please let me know. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into multiple servers through script is having some problem

Hi Everybody, I am bit new to shell scripting. I need some help in my script. I have to login into 15 servers and check some logs daily. For that I've written one shell script, somewhere it is having some problems. After log into the first server, the script is not going with the next steps.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the same remote script on multiple servers

Experts, Im trying to remote into a server, run a script that resides on that server and capture the information displayed & store in a local file. I struggled with this yesterday & finally that script is working now. Now, here is a scope creep and the script that I wrote for 1 remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on multiple remote hosts at once

I have a script on about 15 hosts that I need to run for each host whenever I want (not crontab). Problem is, this script takes 5-10 mins to run for each host. Is there a way I can run the script in parallel for all the hosts instead of 1 at a time? Also, I'm remotely running the script on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Remote execution of a local script on multiple servers

So I have a scriptlet called solaris_command: for i in \ server1 server2 server3 do echo $i ssh $i $1 echo "" done I then use that as a command in multiple scripts to allow for data gathering for all virtual hosts in the environment thusly: solaris_command "cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running set of commands in remote servers in shell script

Hi Wishing to all. I am very new joined in an organization as a unix system administrator. I need a help in preparing a script for a report. i have a file contains all of the linux/ubuntu servers line by line around 140 servers. vi servers.txt nh01 nh02 nh03 bh01 bh04 - - :wq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaraswamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error running grep on Remote Servers

Im running the below command sshpass -p mypassword ssh -t user1@server2 /bin/bash -c 'echo "mypassword" | sudo -S -l; echo "$?#`grep -iE "user66|dbuser|tomcat|splunk|stash|jira|user2|docadmin" /etc/passwd`"; exit' Below is the error I get: Output: I run this command across a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
TTYREC(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TTYREC(1)

NAME
ttyrec - a tty recorder SYNOPSIS
ttyrec [-a] [-u] [-e command] [file] DESCRIPTION
Ttyrec is a tty recorder. It is a derivative of script(1) command for recording timing information with microsecond accuracy as well. It can record emacs -nw, vi, lynx, or any programs running on tty. Ttyrec invokes a shell and records the session until the shell exits. Recorded data can be played back with ttyplay(1). If the argument file is given, the session will be recorded in that file. Otherwise, ttyrecord is used as default. OPTIONS
-a Append the output to file or ttyrecord, rather than overwriting it. -u With this option, ttyrec automatically calls uudecode(1) and saves its output when uuencoded data appear on the session. It allow you to transfer files from remote host. You can call ttyrec with this option, login to the remote host and invoke uuencode(1) on it for the file you want to transfer. -e command Invoke command when ttyrec starts. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by ttyrec will be that shell. If it's not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
script(1), ttyplay(1), ttytime(1), uuencode(1), uudecode(1) TTYREC(1)