Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX System V Release 4 back in the 90's Post 302891533 by raylier on Thursday 6th of March 2014 09:32:22 AM
Old 03-06-2014
UNIX System V Release 4 back in the 90's

Howdy all,

I'm new on this great forum. In 1990 I did a course UNIX system admin. I remember that we used a minicomputer with 15 terminals. My question is..what were the hardware requirements those days to install UNIX Sys 5 R 4? I guess most modern PC's are more powerfull then the minicomputers in the 80's and begin 90's. And also.. what was the total size of the base system (less then 1 Gb I guess)? I quit with UNIX in 1992 because they said there was no future for UNIX. "MS Windows will rule.." How wrong they were. This week I installed UBUNTU server (no GUI for me ;-)) and have a lot of re-learning to do...Smilie

Greetings
raylier:~# cat -v history

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO UNIX System V/386, Release 3.2

I was just wondering if there is a way to recursive grep for something in this version of UNIX... so that I don't have to do it a directory at a time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
1 Replies

2. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with UNIX System V Release 4.0?

Hello, I'm a COMPLETELY new to Unix and was interested in learning C Programming by following the book "The C Programming Language (ANSI C) " by Dennis Ritchie, and in the book the authors use UNIX... Now I have an old Compaq Armada 4120 laptop that I've wiped completely clean by "fdisking" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NJenkins
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix system v release 3.2 (sco-unix?)

another unix printing issue. our client based pc's used to print some form's to our hp printer. as of the moment they can not print. i have checked & did the ff: #lpstat -r (scheduler is running) i dunno if i need to restart the whole unix box via shutdown or just checking at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NCR UNIX system v/386 release 4 recover root password

we have NCR 3455 system from long time as attached all information for server (images) , so we need your help to assist us to get root password which lost it , really we appreciate your efforts if you can send us the procedure for resting the administrator (root) password which this server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: univoip
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error UNIX: UNIX SCO release 5.05 system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot:cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/bootWhat to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joaoalpande
2 Replies

7. SCO

UNIX SCO release 5.05 system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot: cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot what to do? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX SCO release 5.05 system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot: cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot what to do? (5 Replies)
5 Replies
Net::LDAPI(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Net::LDAPI(3)

NAME
Net::LDAPI - use LDAP over a UNIX domain socket SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAPI; $ldapi = Net::LDAPI->new('/var/run/ldapi'); # alternate way use Net::LDAP; $ldapi = Net::LDAP->new('ldapi://'); DESCRIPTION
Communicate using the LDAP protocol to a directory server using a UNIX domain socket. This mechanism is non-standard, UNIX-specific and not widely supported. All the normal "Net::LDAP" methods can be used with a "Net::LDAPI" object; see Net::LDAP for details. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [SOCKPATH] ) Create a new connection. SOCKPATH can optionally be specified, to specify the location of the UNIX domain socket to connect to. If SOCKPATH is not given, the environment variable "LDAPI_SOCK" is evaluated, and if that does not exist, the value "/var/run/ldapi" is used. See "new" in Net::LDAP for further details. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, IO::Socket::UNIX BUGS
None yet. AUTHOR
Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003-2004, Derrik Pates and Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-07 Net::LDAPI(3)