Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Extract information according to values ​​defined Post 302891420 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 5th of March 2014 04:59:57 PM
Old 03-05-2014
As has been mentioned in other threads you have started, we are here to help you learn how to use Linux and UNIX utilities to process data. The volunteers working here want to help you learn how to do things for yourself; not act as your unpaid programming staff.

Please show us what you have tried. If you haven't tried anything yet, look at the responses we have given you to the other 27 assignments you have asked us to complete for you and try to piece something together on your own. If you can't get it to work, show us what you've tried, the output you're getting, and what parts of your code you think are keeping you from getting the results you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to extract lines with a defined number of characters

This is my problem, my file (file A) contains the following information: Now, I would like to create a file (file B) containing only the lines with 10 or more characters but less than 20 with their corresponding ID: Then, I need to compare the entries and determine their frequency. Thus, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

[Solved] processor type and bit information

Hi, I'm trying to download a compatible Oracle Client software for a HP-UX machine. I'd like to know if ... 1) HP-UX is 32 bit or 64 bit? 2) Processor type - Itanium or regular? when I execute uname -a I get HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 728684161 unlimited-user license Based on the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] awk: placement of user-defined functions

Hi folks, is there any recommendation, especially from a point of performance, about where to place a user-defined function in awk, like in BEGIN{} or if it is only need once at the end in END{}? Or doesn't it matter at all since, awk is so clever and only interprets it once, wherever it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Editing the alphabet's based on position information

I do have a file of the following format file 1 >SAM ATGCTCCTTAGCTACGTAGCAAGTAGAAAAAA AGCGCGAGCATTGAAGCGGAGGAGAGGAGGA TGAGATGATGACCCAGTATAAAGAGTGATGAT like this above file. file 1 has 1000's of lines. I would like to edit this file1 using the information from file2 (see below), by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] Unable to fetch the UNIX variable information

I am having a file called variable_info.ksh in that file I am having following global variable information like… EMAIL_PATH=/var/mail TMP_PATH=/home/tmp And we are having another temporary parameter file abcd.txt, in that file we are having the following information like… EMAIL|EMAI_PATH I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesahammad
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Variable defined in .bashrc not intializing in script

I have the variable defined in .bashrc BIN_DIR="/usr/local/dw" and in my shell script i am using below. #!/bin/bash echo "Bin Dir: ${BIN_DIR}" . "${BIN_DIR}"/dwh_Loadfuncs.sh Output: Bin Dir: /usr/local/dw/dwh_LoadXMLFileIntoStage.sh: line 7: /dwh_Loadfuncs.sh: No such file or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How can I pull specific information from PS?

I need to grab information from the output of the ps command. For each line of ps output that contains _progres -b I need to get the word that follows -p. The "-p" can be anywhere after "_progres -b". Using grep to select the correct lines is no problem (e.g. ps -ef|grep "_progres \-b|grep -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Extracting information from DDL's

Dear Experts, I need your help here. I have lot of teradata DDL's as follows, i want to extract field names , field attributes and NOT NULL information from DDL.Could you please help here. Sample DDL: CREATE MULTISET TABLE APS_CALL_IN_PICKUP_CANCELED ,NO FALLBACK , NO BEFORE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

9. SCO

How to measure disk IO 5.0.7? (sar, return values ​​are not valid)

Hello I am analyzing disk performance OSR5.0.7 running inside VirtualBox. GUEST: osr5.0.7; 1GB ram; raw disk HOST: SLES11SP3, 4GB ram; 1 disc SATA2-7200rpm But I'm not sure how to do it right (the values ​​returned by sar not match the values ​​of the physical machine) The attributes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum values of specific column in multiple files, considering ranges defined in another file

I have a file (let say file B) like this: File B: A1 3 5 A1 7 9 A2 2 5 A3 1 3 The first column defines a filename and the other two define a range in that specific file. In the same directory, I have also three more files (File A1, A2 and A3). Here is 10 sample lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
3 Replies
NEXT(1)                                                              [nmh-1.5]                                                             NEXT(1)

NAME
next - show the next message SYNOPSIS
next [+folder] [-showproc program] [-showmimeproc program] [-header | -noheader] [-checkmime | -nocheckmime] [switches for showproc or showmimeproc] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Next performs a show on the next message in the specified (or current) folder. Like show, it passes any switches on to the program show- proc or showmimeproc, which is called to list the message. This command is almost exactly equivalent to "show next". Consult the manual entry for show(1) for all the details. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder showproc: Program to show non-MIME messages showmimeproc: Program to show MIME messages SEE ALSO
show(1), prev(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `-checkmime' `-header' CONTEXT
If a folder is specified, it will become the current folder. The message that is shown (i.e., the next message in sequence) will become the current message. BUGS
next is really a link to the show program. As a result, if you make a link to next and that link is not called next, your link will act like show instead. To circumvent this, add a profile-entry for the link to your nmh profile and add the argument next to the entry. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEXT(1)