Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop? Post 302891406 by hilltop_yodeler on Wednesday 5th of March 2014 01:52:28 PM
Old 03-05-2014
Thanks port43! Although this method does not accomplish what I had hoped to do in terms of "listening" for user input (pressing 'q' for quit), exiting the script with CTRL+c instead will work just fine for me and I'll be perfectly happy with that. The script is working very well now thanks to your input and suggestions. Before today, I had never heard of "trap".

As a musician, I will often times use this script when trying to commit a song or a series of songs to memory. Here's the new version:

Code:
echo -n "Would you like to repeat one file (1) or many files (M)?"
read quantity
echo ""
echo ""

echo -n "Enter the number of times you would like to play the file(s):"
read num
echo ""
echo ""

if [ $quantity == "1" ]
then
  echo -n "What is the name of the file?"
  read file
  trap 'exit 1' 1 2 3 15
  for ((i=1; i <= $num; i++))
     do mplayer $file
done

elif [ $quantity == "M" ]
then
  echo -n "Enter the file type or extension (mp3 / ogg / *)"
  read ext
  trap 'exit 1' 1 2 3 15
  for ((j=1; j <= $num; j++))
     do mplayer *.$ext
done

else
  echo ""
  echo -n "Invalid entry. Please try again."
  echo ""
fi

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit script if user input not four characters

#!/usr/bin/bash ###script to input four characters. wxyz echo "input first string" read instring1 echo "input second string" read instring2 ## echo "first string is:" $instring1 echo "second string is:" $instring2 ##IF instring1 or instring2 are NOT 4 characters (xxxx) , exit 1. ##how?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running time by taking user input

Need help in scripting . Below is the situation and need your inputs Checking all the processes, scripts running time based on user input time . Below Example ps -aef -o user,pid,etime,stime,args| grep sleep <user> 28995 01:24 14:14:39 sleep 120 <user> 29385 00:52 14:15:10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Feed Input to a script running on bash

Hi Sir, I am just learning bash scripting and I came across a challenge. I need to input F11 to a script among many text inputs. For all the text inputs i did following. # sh test.sh < input.txt where input.txt contains all the text inputs in new lines. This worked fine until i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaurav kumar
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Exit user in bash script

I'm writing a bunch of scripts to automatically configure Ubuntu and I want to run the code below to remove the white dots from the login screen: sudo xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm sudo su lightdm -s /bin/bash gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false The problem is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a bash process and running the second part of script

I want to run a script that calls remote ssh and if it gets hung, I want to be able to kill that part of the script and run another command in the script for example I have a statement like this: if ]; then export tapes=$(for tape in $(su - nacct -c 'ssh remote1 "cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code)

Heyas, Since this question (similar) occur every now and then, and given the fact i was thinking about it just recently (1-2 weeks) anyway, i started to write something :p The last point for motivation was... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with input in a bash script

I have the following while loop that I put in a script, demo.sh: while read rna; do aawork=$(echo "${rna}" | sed -n -e 's/\(...\)\1 /gp' | sed -f rna.sed) echo "$aawork" | sed 's/ //g' echo "$aawork" | tr ' ' '\012' | sort | sed '/^$/d' | uniq -c | sed 's/*\(*\) \(.*\)/\2: \... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me. The script should not exit until the user gives an input.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just a beginner in linux scripting. Just want to ask for help on this one. I am trying to create a script that will accept user input (year-month and user/s). I wanted to have the script to continue running, until the user inputs a DATE and name/s of user/s. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helskadi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)