Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Need help manually assigning a disk volume label Post 302891241 by kneemoe on Tuesday 4th of March 2014 01:51:02 PM
Old 03-04-2014
FYI, for anyone interested in this information at a later date :
"Issue the mmdelnsd command for each NSD in the cluster to remove the NSD volume ID written on sector 2."

its buried in one of the gpfs redbooks.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: many thanks for documenting the found solution. That is a laudable effort! Changed the thread title.

Last edited by bakunin; 03-06-2014 at 06:35 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to write volume label / ID into CD

I've a peculiar requirement that, i want to write the md5sum of the ISO image in to CD or DVD where i write that ISO. If you want to write some other information as volume label/ID, we can use the mkisofs command's -V option. But i cannot use this because before the creation of the iso file,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says. ~ $ sudo gparted ====================== libparted : 2.2 ====================== /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label When I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VERITAS Volume Manager - mirror a disk/volume

I have a machine (5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210) that we are upgrading the storage and my task is to mirror what is already on the machine to the new disk. I have the disk, it is labeled and ready but I am not sure of the next steps to mirror the existing diskgroup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Script to label a disk

Hi Guys, Do you have any script to label a disk automatically. It is part of my script but I am not able to find solution to label this inside script without user intervention. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
2 Replies

10. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies
nsd-patch(8)                                                        nsd 3.2.12                                                        nsd-patch(8)

NAME
nsd-patch - NSD zone patcher version 3.2.12. SYNOPSIS
nsd-patch [-c configfile] [-f] [-h] [-l] [-o dbfile] [-s] [-x difffile] DESCRIPTION
Nsd-patch is the zone patcher for nsd(8). It reads in the nsd database (nsd.db) and difffile (ixfr.db), and overwrites the zone text files if they have been updated. Running this regularly ensures that the difffile does not grow infinitely. OPTIONS
-c configfile Read specified configfile instead of the default /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf. -f Forces writing zone files. Also zones that have not changed are written back to their zone files. -h Print usage help information and exit. -l List the journal entries from the difffile. Does not write to zone files. -o dbfile Store the output directly to dbfile. -s Skip writing zone files. No zones are written back to their zone files. -x difffile Read specified difffile. Overrides the config file setting. FILES
/var/lib/nsd3/nsd.db default NSD database /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf default NSD configuration file SEE ALSO
nsd(8), nsdc(8), nsd.conf(5), nsd-checkconf(8), nsd-notify(8), nsd-xfer(8), zonec(8) AUTHORS
NSD was written by NLnet Labs and RIPE NCC joint team. Please see CREDITS file in the distribution for further details. NLnet Labs jul 19, 2012 nsd-patch(8)