Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 Post 302891100 by perl_beginner on Monday 3rd of March 2014 10:31:29 PM
Old 03-03-2014
[Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000

Hi,

Do anybody knows how to use awk or any command to random print out 1000 number which start from range 1 to 150000?

I know that "rand" in awk can do similar random selection.
But I have no idea how to write a code that can random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 Smilie

Thanks for any advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displays line number 1000 to 2000

Hi, I have 1 million records and want to extract lines betwen 10000 -20000 and put it in another file. Could you please suggest a command for this. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random number within a specific range (0.5-1.5)

Hello, need a way to generate numbers within 0.5-1.5 range Has to be totally random: 0.6 1.1 0.8 1.5 0.6 and so on.... How to? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pick Random records from a large file

Hi, I have a huge file say with 2000000 records. The file has 42 fields. I would like to pick randomly 1000 records from this huge file. Can anyone help me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajithshankar@ho
1 Replies

5. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Pick a Number Between 0 and 20 for 1 Million Bits

Here is an easy game! I wrote a number between 0 and 20 (that can include 0 and 20) on a piece of paper. I am staring at it now, imagining the number so you can read my mind ;) Reply once, and only once, with a number from 0 to 20 and the first person to guess it wins 1,000,000 Bits. ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
24 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick random file from ls command.

Lets say I want to pick a random file when I do an "ls" command. I don't have set number of files in each directory. ls | head -1 This gives me the first one in each directory, is there a way to do the same but pick a random one. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix random number generate in given range

Hi All, I have extracted some report from database for few activities done. Now I have a requirement to add some random time(In range of 10-35) in front of each activity. Can be generated random numbers in any bash/sh shell within a given number range, let's say in between 10-30. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
10 Replies

9. Programming

random number

How can I choose randomly the row numbers of my file in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies
RAND(3) 						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						   RAND(3)

NAME
rand, rand_r, srand, sranddev -- bad random number generator LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int rand(void); int rand_r(unsigned *seed); void srand(unsigned seed); void sranddev(void); DESCRIPTION
These interfaces are obsoleted by random(3). The rand() function computes a sequence of pseudo-random integers in the range of 0 to RAND_MAX (as defined by the header file <stdlib.h>). The srand() function sets its argument seed as the seed for a new sequence of pseudo-random numbers to be returned by rand(). These sequences are repeatable by calling srand() with the same seed value. If no seed value is provided, the functions are automatically seeded with a value of 1. The sranddev() function initializes a seed, using the random(4) random number device which returns good random numbers, suitable for crypto- graphic use. The rand_r() function provides the same functionality as rand(). A pointer to the context value seed must be supplied by the caller. SEE ALSO
random(3), random(4) STANDARDS
The rand() and srand() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The rand_r() function is as proposed in the POSIX.4a Draft #6 document. BSD
May 25, 1999 BSD