Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert date/time header at top of file Post 302890991 by SriniShoo on Monday 3rd of March 2014 03:23:47 AM
Old 03-03-2014
use double quotes instead of single quotes in sed
Code:
sed -i "1s/^/********** $(date) **********\n\n/" $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Time and Date Stamp

I have a directory with following files in it ABC.000.DAT ABC.001.DAT ABC.002.DAT ABC.003.DAT I want to insert time and date stamp in file names like ABC.000.YYYYMMDDHHMM.DAT I able to insert the time and date stamp at the end of filename Kindly help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert date/time within a filename

Hi Guys, I need to script the renaming of files as followins: files: firstjd secondjo thirdjv My script needs to insert the date/time infront of the last 2 characters of the filenames above, any ideas greatly received :) the letters before the last 2 characters could change, I'm only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperman
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi?

when directing some text into a file can you choose where it goes like the top of the file (which is text aswell) or the middle?? if so how - especially would like to know how to do so in vi (text editor) If i were to enter an argument ($1) into a another argument ($2) would it would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a header in a huge data file without using an intermediate file

I have a file with data extracted, and need to insert a header with a constant string, say: H|PayerDataExtract if i use sed, i have to redirect the output to a seperate file like sed ' sed commands' ExtractDataFile.dat > ExtractDataFileWithHeader.dat the same is true for awk and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaktanna
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time in reoccurring blocks of lines

Hi folks, I have a little problem, that is kinda bugging me :( ... I have a logfile, that looks kinda "crippled" in the raw format ... So far, I've managed, to get it in a format like this: PRI_PTA01,2W,30,30,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizzler
5 Replies
CURSES_SCROLL(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					  CURSES_SCROLL(3)

NAME
curses_scroll, scrl, wscrl scroll, scrollok, setscrreg, wsetscrreg -- curses window scrolling routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrollok(WINDOW *win, boolf flag); int setscrreg(int top, int bottom); int wsetscrreg(WINDOW *win, int top, int bottom); DESCRIPTION
These functions scroll areas on stdscr or on the specified window. The scrl() function scrolls stdscr by n lines. If n is positive then then stdscr is scrolled up. n lines are lost from the top of stdscr and n blank lines are inserted at the bottom. If n is negative then stdscr is scrolled down. n blank lines are inserted at the top of stdscr and n lines are lost from the bottom. The wscrl() function is the same as the scrl() function, excepting that it scrolls the window specified by win. The scroll() function scrolls the window win up by one line. The scrolling behaviour of a window can be controlled by using the scrollok() function. If the flag argument is TRUE then a line wrap at the bottom of the window will cause the window to be scrolled up one line, if flag is FALSE then lines that would force a scroll will be trun- cated. The setscrreg() function sets up a software scrolling region on stdscr which will define a region of the screen that will be scrolled. The scrolling of this region is also controlled by the scrollok() function. The wsetscrreg() function does the same as the setscrreg() function, except that the scrolling region is set on the window specified by win. If a scrolling region has been set with the setscrreg() or wsetscrreg() functions and the current cursor position is inside the scrolling region, then only the area inside the scrolling region is scrolled. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following values: OK The function completed successfully. ERR An error occurred in the function. SEE ALSO
curses_deleteln(3), curses_insdelln(3), curses_insertln(3) STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. HISTORY
The Curses package appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
August 12, 2002 BSD