Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/aliases & Sendmail
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat /etc/aliases & Sendmail Post 302890896 by saurabh84g on Sunday 2nd of March 2014 12:02:43 AM
Old 03-02-2014
Check Aliases as well

- Did you Issue newaliases command to get the changes in effect. ?

# vi /etc/aliases
User1: Superman
#newaliases

If you email to User1 it should be received by Superman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail / Aliases

I'm trying to make a script that will automatically read incoming mail, parse the recipient, then send a file off to the recipient. (Name of file = mail.pl) #!/usr/bin/perl $mailDir = "/var/spool/mail/" $user = print `cat <STDIN> | grep To: | cut -b5-`; print `elm -s Awaiting Mail $user <... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ComTec
1 Replies

2. Programming

Sendmail & mail.local + MySQL API

I've searched this message board, and the newgroups THOROUGHLY, in search of any information towards implenting the MySQL API with C... I'm a "beginner" to the C language I suppose, and i've made a few functions in C that can be implemented into the source code of Sendmail/mail.local, so that any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CGrusden19
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sendmail aliases not being honored

Running sendmail Version 8.12.10+Sun on Solaris 9. I need to send mail from this server (serverA) to the mail server (Mserver), which will relay the message to the correct user. If I specify the user specifically, as in: mailx -s"test" John.Doe@company.com test . It works perfectly and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
13 Replies

4. Red Hat

Unable to install & configure Sendmail

Hi All • Regarding installing sendmail pkg in server, I tried to install the pkg but getting the below errors as shown below - any idea on this? • But I have successfully installed sendmail-cf pkg in the server box • But that is not sufficient we also need to install sendmail pkg • Help is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Sendmail & SMTP

I have searched this forum extensively and can't seem to find a workable solution to my sendmail issue, but that could be down to my own lack of knowledge so please bear with me... I am using a Sun Solaris 9 box to try and send e-mail to external addresses. The Unix box is not an e-mail server.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with sendmail procmail spamassasin & relay

I have been working on setting up a mail relay. I have just about everything working except for the procmail part. The configuration is as follows: Internet -> mailrelay -> mail server | spamassassin server I have spamassassin running on a seperate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hardesty
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail.cf goes missing & other things

well, I came in today to a raft of messages that users couldn't email from UNIX (HP-UX B.11.23 U i64) /etc/mail/sendmail.cf was missing - just GONE from the directory. Other files were there. mail was successfully sent at 19:48 last night and unsuccessful at 00:10. At least those are times... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail (& attachment)

Hi, This is my first thread. Iam trying the following: OS: Sun Database: DB2, Informix, Oracle * Get the status of the database (using database command line options) * pipe to a text file * send mail of the text file to receiptents. TODO1: First step i tried to send a test message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sendmail: trusted-users or aliases?

For a project that I have been assigned to, I need to send emails to a business partner (business_partner.com) from one production server. However, my emails neither reach their destination nor bounce back to me. Working with our business partner's IT support, the following error was discovered... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail - Attachments & Subjects

Hi All, Not been around in a while. However I have been all over tinternet (google) for days looking for a solution. Where I work has decided to use Sendmail on our Linux and Unix estate for sending emails via scripts. So I am hoping to eventually get a working solution for Sendmail and not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakelly
3 Replies
aliases(5)							File Formats Manual							aliases(5)

Name
       aliases - aliases file for sendmail

Description
       The  aliases  file  is  an ASCII file that describes user ID aliases that are used in It is formatted as a series of lines in the following
       form:
       name: name_1, name2, name_3, . . .
       The name is the name to alias, and the name_n are the aliases for that name.  Each is separated from the next by a new line.

Continuation lines begin with white space.  Comment lines begin with a number sign (#).

You can only assign aliases to local names.  Loops are not allowed because a message should be sent to a person only once.

After an alias has been applied, local and valid recipients who have a file in their home directory can have messages forwarded to the list
       of users defined in that file.

This  is  only the raw data file; the actual information pertaining to aliases is placed into binary format in the files and using the pro-
       gram The command should be executed each time the aliases file changes.	This command allows the new changes to take effect.

Restrictions
       Because of restrictions in a single alias cannot contain more than approximately 1000 bytes of information.  You can specify longer aliases
       by chaining; that is, use a dummy name for the last name in the alias, which creates a continuation alias.

The  database  may  be distributed in a network by a naming service, such as Yellow Pages or BIND/Hesiod.  See the Guide to Yellow Pages or
       the chapter on Hesiod in the Guide to BIND for setup information.

Files
See Also
       newaliases(1), dbm(3x), sendmail(8)
       "SENDMAIL Installation and Operation Guide", ULTRIX Supplementary Documents, Vol. III: System Manager
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service
       Guide to the Yellow Pages Service

aliases(5)