Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove newlines
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove newlines Post 302890789 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of February 2014 02:07:46 PM
Old 02-28-2014
Works in a more general way, by counting the number of double quote characters.
Code:
while IFS="" read -r LINE
do
        Q="${LINE//[^\"]/}"
        if [ "$((${#Q} % 2))" -eq 1 ] # If the number of quotes is odd
        then
                read LINE2
                LINE="$LINE $LINE2"
        fi

echo "$LINE"
done < inputfile > outputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - need to remove unwanted newlines on match

Context: I need to remove unwanted newlines from a data file listing books and associated data. Here is a sample listing ( line numbers included ): 1 360762| Skip-beat! 14 /| 9781421517544| nb | 2008.| Nakamura, Yoshiki.| NAKAMUR | Kyoko Mogami followed 2 her true love Sho to Tokyo to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose with two newlines as delimiter

Hi Guys, I have data in a file as follows: a 1 2 3 b 4 5 6 a 6 7 8 a 4 7 9 b 6 8 5 c 0 8 7 So the number of rows which have data is variable (2 for the first group, one for the second group and three for the third group), but the delimiters between the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove improperly placed newlines

Hello, there. I have a file that's a horrible, horrible mess. (Basically, it's an export from a firewall config.) The people who generated the file didn't think that putting a newline in the middle of a hostname would ever be a problem. It is. Here's an example of the stuff in the file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete newlines after every one space

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 Can anyone please let me know how I can format my text like this? abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 I know how to space to newlines using tr but don't know how to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with eliminating newlines with Perl

Good morning, I need some help with getting rid of newlines with the output from a MYSQL query and putting the information into the right format that I need. Here is the script as it is today: #!/usr/bin/perl my $uda = system("/opt/incontrol/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -ppassword... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find with awk to remove newlines

I want to list all html files present in a directory tree, the remove the newline and get one string with a space between files find /home/chrisd/Desktop/seg/geohtml/ -name '*.html' | awk BEGIN{FS=\r} '{print}' ---------- Post updated at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file with Newlines

Hi Friends, I have a data file with new lines. How to remove the newlines and should be showed in one line. I tried using the command tr -d '\n' filename sed 's/\n//g' file name Ex: 1 abc hyd is actual record but in our scenario showing it as 1 abc hydthis record should be like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
GEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GEDIT(1)

NAME
gedit - text editor for the GNOME Desktop SYNOPSIS
gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] [+LINE[:COLUMN]] gedit [OPTION...] - DESCRIPTION
gedit is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment. While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor. It can be used to create and edit all kinds of text files. gedit features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to gedit itself. OPTIONS
--encoding Set the character encoding to be used for opening the files listed on the command line. -g, --geometry=GEOMETRY Set the X geometry window size (WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y). --list-encodings Display list of possible values for the encoding option and exit. --new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit. --new-document Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit. -s, --standalone Run gedit in standalone mode. -w, --wait Open files and block the gedit process. --help Prints the command line options. --version Output version information and exit. FILE Specifies the file to open when gedit starts. If this is not specified, gedit will load a blank file with an "Unsaved Document" label. Multiple files can be loaded if they are separated by spaces. gedit also supports handling of remote files. For example, you can pass the location of a webpage to gedit , like "http://www.gnome.org", or load a file from a FTP server, like "ftp://ftp.gnome.org/robots.txt". - gedit will read from stdin +LINE For the first file, go to the line specified by LINE (do not insert a space between the "+" sign and the number). If LINE is miss- ing, go to the last line. COLUMN For the first file, go to the column specified by COLUMN. If COLUMN is missing, go to the first column. BUGS
If you find a bug, please report it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gedit. AUTHORS
Paolo Maggi (paolo@gnome.org) Paolo Borelli (pborelli@katamail.com) Steve Frecinaux (code@istique.net) Jesse van den Kieboom (jessevdk@gnome.org) Ignacio Casal Quinteiro <icq@gnome.org> James Willcox (jwillcox@gnome.org) Federico Mena Quintero (federico@novell.com) Chema Celorio 17 May 2010 GEDIT(1)