Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to trim the file names?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to trim the file names? Post 302890753 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of February 2014 11:06:53 AM
Old 02-28-2014
Oh, you just want to remove it from a string, not change the filename. That's much easier.

Code:
STRING="asdf.filepart"
echo "${STRING/.filepart/}"

You can put it in the loop above to do many.

Or you can also do it this way in awk:

Code:
ls *.filepart | awk -F"." '{ NF=(NF-1) } 1'

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

trim file name extension????

Dear Chaps, What will I do if, I am not sure about the length of the file name, but only one thing that I want to remove only the last extension. e.g. abcdXXXXXX.pqrXXXXX.asc (X is any character) I want to trim only .asc (or,watever) so that resultant file name would be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim file

Hi, I have a 6G log , which is unusual to read and I want to minimize it by removing some part on the upper portion( around 4GB). what should i do? can you please help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim pathname of the file

I am capturing the files in a directory to an array. I have 2 arrays with list of files in two different directories. Both the directories are supposed to have the same number of files and filenames. I want to check that the same file exists in both the directories. After I capture the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

right trim at end of file

Hi, I'have a file as below I need to replace the comma at the end of the file into ) as below Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

right trim at end of file

Hi, I'have a file as below I need to replace the comma at the end of the file into ) as below Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim file using filename

I want to remove first xx letters from filename_xx . How is that possible using linux. I have many files where xx could be same in many but filename is always unique. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keysoon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim a file columnwise

Hi All, I want to trim each columns leading & trailing (like sql trim function) of a ',' separated file.. I've a file like this.. manab , c gi lucky , home babu , maa I want the output as manab,c gi lucky,home babu,maa A one liner would be a great help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies
IPTABLES-XML(8) 														   IPTABLES-XML(8)

NAME
iptables-xml -- Convert iptables-save format to XML SYNOPSIS
iptables-xml [-c] [-v] DESCRIPTION
iptables-xml is used to convert the output of iptables-save into an easily manipulatable XML format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirection pro- vided by your shell to write to a file. -c, --combine combine consecutive rules with the same matches but different targets. iptables does not currently support more than one target per match, so this simulates that by collecting the targets from consecutive iptables rules into one action tag, but only when the rule matches are identical. Terminating actions like RETURN, DROP, ACCEPT and QUEUE are not combined with subsequent targets. -v, --verbose Output xml comments containing the iptables line from which the XML is derived iptables-xml does a mechanistic conversion to a very expressive xml format; the only semantic considerations are for -g and -j targets in order to discriminate between <call> <goto> and <nane-of-target> as it helps xml processing scripts if they can tell the difference between a target like SNAT and another chain. Some sample output is: <iptables-rules> <table name="mangle"> <chain name="PREROUTING" policy="ACCEPT" packet-count="63436" byte-count="7137573"> <rule> <conditions> <match> <p>tcp</p> </match> <tcp> <sport>8443</sport> </tcp> </conditions> <actions> <call> <check_ip/> </call> <ACCEPT/> </actions> </rule> </chain> </table> </iptables-rules> Conversion from XML to iptables-save format may be done using the iptables.xslt script and xsltproc, or a custom program using libxsltproc or similar; in this fashion: xsltproc iptables.xslt my-iptables.xml | iptables-restore BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.3.7 release AUTHOR
Sam Liddicott <azez@ufomechanic.net> SEE ALSO
iptables-save(8), iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) Jul 16, 2007 IPTABLES-XML(8)