Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Paste files of varying lengths Post 302890597 by Don Cragun on Thursday 27th of February 2014 01:48:46 PM
Old 02-27-2014
What operating system are you using? Please show us the exact command that you used?

When I try the command:
Code:
paste File1 File2 File3

with the data you showed us for those three files, I get the output:
Code:
123	234	456
	345	789

or (with \t replacing tab characters):
Code:
123\t234\t456
\t345\t789
\t678\t

which seems to match what you said you wanted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting a varying amount of lines from a list of files

I did search the posts for info on this and while there were some in the ballpark, none addressed this specifically. (also I tried to post this once it said I was logged out, so hopefully I'm not sending a duplicate here). I have a set of files (250 +/-) where I need to delete the first "$x"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benair
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want ie: i have 2 files pwd /home/pavargaz/alejo/scan01/nokia/2006/abril/bavaria/chu0 $ cat filechu chu0 dia Cantidad 01 257 02 262 03 260 04 58 $pwd ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste 2 files ( it is possible???)

Hello all, I have two files: file1: data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 data7 data8 data9 file2: reference I need to paste both files with the following output: data1 data2 data3 reference data4 data5 data6 reference data7 data8 data9 reference I tried using the paste... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste several files

Hi everybody: I tried to paste several files which have the same pattern name file like this: down_s1.dat, down_s2.dat, down_s3.dat, down_s4.dat ... down_s10.dat So I have tried to do it as: paste down_s.dat > final.dat But it does not work correctly. Any suggestion. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste more than 12 files together

Hi, 1. How can I get around the issue with pasting more than 12 files together? 2. paste file1 file2 > file3........how can I do this with awk?? Thanks! (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste the files

Dear All, I have thousands of files (consists of one column each) and i need to paste all the columns in a single file as follows: I have files - file1, file2, file3, .......file2000. I need to paste all the files in a single file of separate columns as shown below: file1 file2 file3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data from 2 files of different lengths?

Hi all, Sorry if someone has answered something like this already, but I have a problem. I am not brilliant with "awk" but think it should be the command to use to get what I am after. I have 2 files: job-file (several hundred lines like): 1018003,LONG MU WAN,1113S 1018004,LONG MU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgb2301
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste mutiple files in a loop

file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt desired output is each file is in the same directory, hasthe same number of columns but different rows. i want to be able to paste them into one file. thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with different lengths

Hi there, I have two very long files like: file1: two fields 1 123 1 125 1 234 2 123 2 234 2 300 2 312 3 10 3 215 4 56 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ClaraW
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to paste multiple files in parallel?

Hi all, I am trying to paste thousands of files together into a matrix. Each file has only 1 column and all the files have the same number of rows (~27k rows). I tried paste * > output as well as some other for loops but the output only contains the columns from the 1st and last files. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: notimenocall
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)