Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Empty file check
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Empty file check Post 302890386 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 26th of February 2014 01:24:29 PM
Old 02-26-2014
Yes the part after the && will only get evaluated if the part before the && is true. This is by design, && is not a true logical AND.

--
Also there is a syntax error, since the "then" statements were omitted.

--
Also there are the wrong quotes characters in you file! Replace them with "

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-26-2014 at 03:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check for empty file in Perl?

Hi, May I know how to check for empty file in Perl. Iam missing something, somewhere. #!/usr/bin/perl my $open_dir = '/path/'; my $file; my $ma = "abc_.*.\.psv\$" opendir(VAR, $open_dir) or die "Can't open $oepn_dir: $!\n"; while( defined ($file = readdir VAR) ) #read all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is empty?

Hi Masters..... I have problem !!! I need to check number of records in a file and if it is zero or file is empty i need to do some task. if ; then echo "File s empty" else echo "Not empty" fi so how to check this condition. I used wc -l < filename.txt => 1 for zero records same result... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to check if file is empty or not and return a non zero value

Hi All, I am new to unix worldd . I need to check a file1 if its empty or not. If its empty then return a non zero value say 99 could you pls let me know the perl script for this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is empty

How do I check if a file is empty in a sh script I want to test in my shell script if the output file is empty and if it is do one thing and if it isnt empty do another? any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check for empty file in C shell script

I am running a C shell script. I have an output file from a previous step and I need to run "something" in the next step to check if the file is empty. If the file is empty, then the job script should finish EOJ. If the file is not empty then the job script should abend. Please help Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a text file is empty or not (using ls -s)

Hello, I want to make a script which says if a text file is empty or not. I tried two ways of making it, but I have problems with both of them. Now I think that the better way is the ls -s solution (considering that an empty text file has a 0 weight, because "cat file.txt" fails when file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition to check whether configuration file is empty or not?

CMD=$(find "${Release_Container}" -iname "${Release_Name}"_Release.txt) for i in `cat $CMD` do if ];then cd ${Sandbox_dir} CMD1=$(find "${Sandbox_dir}"/* -iname "${Release_Name}" -type d | awk -F/ '{print $(NF)}' | head -1 ) if ];then echo -e "################### CHECKOUT START... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if file is empty with variables, bash

Hello again! I have some trouble with scripting in bash. In the following script I read from a folder with the files line0_Ux.xy line1_Ux.xy line2_Ux.xy . . . Some of the files are empty. For those I would like to print a "0" in list. I think the problem with the code is that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjoern456
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file is empty or has blank space.?

Hi, I am using KSH. I am trying to check if the output file is empty or not. I tried with ] but what i see is my file is empty but still manages to have a size of 1 instead of 0. But my file doesnot have anything its empty. I am not sure how to check this. can any one help? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check whether the file is empty or not in shell script (sh)

Hi All, I need to check a file whether it exists and also whether it is empty or not. I have a code for this but it is not working as per my requirement. Can anyone pls suggest me on this. function funcFLSanityCheck { if then echo "${varFLSentFileListPath}/${varFLSentFileName}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun1992
7 Replies
ATF-CHECK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      ATF-CHECK(1)

NAME
atf-check -- executes a command and analyzes its results SYNOPSIS
atf-check [-s qual:value] [-o action:arg ...] [-e action:arg ...] [-x] command atf-check -h DESCRIPTION
atf-check executes a given command and analyzes its results, including exit code, stdout and stderr. In the first synopsis form, atf-check will execute the provided command and apply checks specified by arguments. By default it will act as if it was run with -s exit:0 -o empty -e empty. Multiple checks for the same output channel are allowed and, if specified, their results will be combined as a logical and (meaning that the output must match all the provided checks). In the second synopsis form, atf-check will print information about all supported options and their purpose. The following options are available: -h Shows a short summary of all available options and their purpose. -s qual:value Analyzes termination status. Must be one of: exit:<value> checks that the program exited cleanly and that its exit status is equal to value. The exit code can be omit- ted altogether, in which case any clean exit is accepted. ignore ignores the exit check. signal:<value> checks that the program exited due to a signal and that the signal that terminated it is value. The signal can be specified both as a number or as a name, or it can also be omitted altogether, in which case any signal is accepted. Most of these checkers can be prefixed by the 'not-' string, which effectively reverses the check. -o action:arg Analyzes standard output. Must be one of: empty checks that stdout is empty ignore ignores stdout file:<path> compares stdout with given file inline:<value> compares stdout with inline value match:<regexp> looks for a regular expression in stdout save:<path> saves stdout to given file Most of these checkers can be prefixed by the 'not-' string, which effectively reverses the check. -e action:arg Analyzes standard error (syntax identical to above) -x Executes command as a shell command line, executing it with the system shell defined by ATF_SHELL in atf-config(1). You should avoid using this flag if at all possible to prevent shell quoting issues. EXIT STATUS
atf-check exits 0 on success, and other (unspecified) value on failure. EXAMPLES
# Exit code 0, nothing on stdout/stderr atf-check 'true' # Typical usage if failure is expected atf-check -s not-exit:0 'false' # Checking stdout/stderr echo foobar >expout atf-check -o file:expout -e inline:"xx yy " 'echo foobar ; printf "xx yy " >&2' # Checking for a crash atf-check -s signal:sigsegv my_program # Combined checks atf-check -o match:foo -o not-match:bar echo foo baz SEE ALSO
atf-config(1), atf(7) BSD
June 27, 2010 BSD