Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files Post 302890336 by Akshay Hegde on Wednesday 26th of February 2014 08:22:26 AM
Old 02-26-2014
Try :

Code:
$ cat log
./testing/file.pdf
./sample.jpg
./example.html
./testcondition.css

Code:
$ echo 'gfdg' >example.html

Code:
$ cat example.html
gfdg

Code:
$ cat test
#!/bin/bash

SEARCH_IN_FILES="html htm css js"
declare -A MYMAP=( [abc]=test1 [efg]=test2 [gfdg]=test3 )

while read line;do

if grep -w "${line##*.}" <<<$SEARCH_IN_FILES >/dev/null; then

for i in "${!MYMAP[@]}";do
  			 sed -i 's/'"$i"'/'"${MYMAP[$i]}"'/g' $line
		done
	fi

done <"log"

Code:
$ bash test

Code:
$ cat example.html
test3

This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set password using a shell script

Hi All How can I set password in linux.It is OK if it display password in plain text in script. manually i can set: #passwd Changing password for root Enter new password: Bad password: too weak. Re-enter new password: Password changed. # I want this to be done by script.Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh script - Design ? - Search file and set variables

Hi - I'm trying to think of a clever way to write a shell script (trying to stay w/ ksh as that's what I know the best...) that will resolve the following problem: Problem - On a daily basis I have to email folks who are on-call to remind them. I was hoping to script this out so I could have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi search/replace using a set

Hi, I'm trying to do a global search/replace in vi using a set - I want to find every occurance of a carriage return followed by a character and replace it with a space. I've tried the following: :%s/\n/ /g It does the search ok, but it replaces the characters with the literal value ""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HudZo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search of common words in set of files

Hi, I have a set of simple, one columned text files (in thousands). file1: a b c d file 2: b c d e and so on. There is a collection of words in another file: b d b c d e I have to find out the set of words (in each row) is present or absent in the given set of files. So, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mala
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Search/Replace Multiple Files Script Needed

I have a rather complicated search and replace I need to do among several dozen files and over a hundred occurrences. My site is written in PHP and throughout the old code, you will find things like die("Operation Aborted due to....."); For my new design skins for the site, I need to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through Sub Directories and search for set of files

I have the below directory in unix environment /home/bkup/daily: ls -lrt drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 12 18:21 20110112/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 13 17:06 20110113/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 14 16:44 20110114/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding compound words from a set of files from another set of files

Hi All, I am completely stuck here. I have a set of files (with names A.txt, B.txt until L.txt) which contain words like these: computer random access memory computer networking mouse terminal windows All the files from A.txt to L.txt have the same format i.e. complete words in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a value and replace other field in the same set

Hello friends, I have huge file with many sets where each "set" has few lines and each set always begins with "Set" in Sq brackets as shown above. # cat file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
2 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - a string-replacement utility SYNOPSIS
replace arguments DESCRIPTION
The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Invoke replace in one of the following ways: shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ... shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings. Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it. replace prints a message indicating which of the input files it actually modifies. If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output. replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps a and b in the given files, file1 and file2: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... The replace program is used by msql2mysql. See msql2mysql(1). replace supports the following options. o -?, -I Display a help message and exit. o -#debug_options Enable debugging. o -s Silent mode. Print less information what the program does. o -v Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does. o -V Display version information and exit. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.5 01/30/2014 REPLACE(1)