Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Old RS/6000 lost its mind
Special Forums Hardware Old RS/6000 lost its mind Post 302890236 by drjohnnyfever on Wednesday 26th of February 2014 12:36:23 AM
Old 02-26-2014
I did replace the battery, I wired up a AA holder to the pin header plug. I think it was a 4.5 volt battery if memory serves, so 3 AA cells. Was one of the first things I tried but sadly didn't make a difference. The old battery was very dead. Floated at around 2 volts and would slowly drop on the meter.

I definitely don't need the 39H and probably will end up picking up a newer system. I'd still like to fix it though. I'm a bit of a collector and its not generic PC hardware after all. I think its worth keeping running.

Thanks for the tip. I have my eye on eBay.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mind shattering good questions

i want to make a C program that should wb able to do the following tasks. one thing that i want to say is that we dont have to use ps and top all these commands by C programmign only .......... i am doing this by proc file system using CAT command in various files but .......its not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

I Am Calling All Unix Experts Young Mind In Need

My name is Courtney Robinson, and I am just a young man trying to figure out were he wants his life to head. I am currently in school for Computer Science and have once class left and jsut figured out I hate programming. However I am in love with Storage (SAN), UNIX, LINUX. I want to learn more.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Courtney3216
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command in mind map

I found this link that might be useful for a newbie to remember unix commands. It use mind map technique and summarize everything within one page. http://mind-map-you.blogspot.com/2006/12/unix-command-in-mind-map.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bani100
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

another whats on my mind!!! - winter waves

for anyone who surfs the northeast: why can't we have more frequent wave forming winds (bigger low pressure systems) in the summer?! i'm tired of putting on 100lbs of wet suit and surfing awesome waves. i'd rather put on no wet suit and surf awesome waves. :) damn the bermuda high!! anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pupp
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

PI calculated by hand. If this doesn't blow your mind nothing will.

This came to my attention very recently... I have put it here as a fun item not related to UNIX in any way... Chudnovsky algorithm - Wikipedia WOW! And a great, light hearted 16 minute video about it: Calculating π by hand: the Chudnovsky algorithm - YouTube Enjoy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
INITTODR(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					       INITTODR(9)

NAME
inittodr -- initialize system time SYNOPSIS
void inittodr(time_t base); DESCRIPTION
The inittodr() function determines the time and sets the system clock. It tries to pick the correct time using a set of heuristics that examine the system's battery-backed clock and the time reported by the file system, as given in base. Those heuristics include: o If the battery-backed clock has a valid time, and is not significantly behind the time provided by base, it is used. o If the battery-backed clock does not have a valid time, or is significantly behind the time provided in base, and the time provided in base is within reason, base is used as the current time. o If the battery-backed clock appears invalid, and base appears non-sensical or was not provided (was given as zero), an arbitrary base (typically some time within the same year that the kernel was last updated) will be used. Once a system time has been determined, it is stored in the time variable. DIAGNOSTICS
The inittodr() function prints diagnostic messages if it has trouble figuring out the system time. Conditions that can cause diagnostic mes- sages to be printed include: o There is no battery-backed clock present on the system. o The battery-backed clock's time appears nonsensical. o The base time appears nonsensical. o The base time and the battery-backed clock's time differ by a large amount. SEE ALSO
clock_ymdhms_to_secs(9), resettodr(9), time_second(9) BUGS
Some systems use heuristics for picking the correct time that are slightly different. BSD
September 6, 2006 BSD