Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lookup field values in two fixed format file in UNIX - not working Post 302890231 by ahamed101 on Tuesday 25th of February 2014 09:11:29 PM
Old 02-25-2014
The input you provided is next to impossible to understand.
Can you paste it neatly? Also, extract at least one value which is in the range 37-50 for our reference.

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing particular field in fixed width file

I have a fixed width file and i need to change 36th field to "G" in for about random 20 records? How can I do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Format File

Hi to All, Would you please help me. I have a issue like in fixed format file there are 80 words should be there. but if file contains greater than 80 words then creates problem. so i have to trim file having more than 80 characters line through unix shell scripting. Please let me know how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed width file with newline field separators

I have some huge files that are produced daily from a production system written in basic (really). The files are fixed width records, 512 bytes, with newline field separators, newlines if the field is null, and trailing newlines for null fields. The data in the fields can be any ascii... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtischuk@yahoo.
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup two values per line (from a second file) and write the smaller value to another file

Hello Unix Gurus, Please let me know if this is hard to understand and I apologize for my inability to explain better. I have a file "Foo" with the following structure CHR_A BP_A SNP_A CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with AWK - Compare a field in a file to lookup file and substitute if only a match

I have the below 2 files: 1) Third field from file1.txt should be compared to the first field of lookup.txt. 2) If match found then third field, file1.txt should be substituted with the second field from lookup.txt. 3)Else just print the line from file1.txt. File1.txt:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venalla_shine
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File field to replace lookup from another file

Hi All, I don't know how to fast do this field replace that need lookup from another file to form the update result:confused: I want to do it by general shell script Can anyone help to solve it ? Thanks for your kindly reply in advance. CK (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwong99
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lookup field in map file

Hi, I have two questions which I would massively appreciate help with. 1. I am trying to insert a field into a file similar to the vlookup function in excel. In column 2 is a gene id for which i would like to insert the full name in the adjacent column. I have a map file (map.file) which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genehersh
1 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command -Filter rows in fixed width file based on column values

Hi All, I am trying to select the rows in a fixed width file based on values in the columns. I want to select only the rows if column position 3-4 has the value AB I am using cut command to get the column values. Is it possible to check if cut -c3-4 = AB is true then select only that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print field from lookup file in output

The below awk uses $3 and $4 in search as the min and max, then takes each $2 value in lookup and compares it. If the value in lookupfalls within the range in searchthen it prints the entire line in lookup/ICODE]. What I can't seem to figure out is how to print the matching $5 from search on that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)