Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A simple reminder script for beginners to shell scripting. Post 302890213 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 25th of February 2014 05:28:13 PM
Old 02-25-2014
Hi Wisecracker. True, I guess. I habitually use a wait statement to wait for background processes. That way I do not have to think, when the while true loop is changed to something else in the future for example...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple shell script

Hi, I am new to unix as well as shell programming. Any body can provide me a simple shell script which should copy/transfer/fetch a file(using FTP)from remote server to local system.and it should log the details when it was fetched.If there is any error,the error msg should log in log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mar1006
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I need of a simple shell script

Hi, I need of a simple shell script to launch a perl script. The complet path of the script is: /export/home/x2693/project/v02/appliancemanagement.pl (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using XML::simple in shell scripting

CPAN provide xml::simple module which can be used to generate XML files. can i use this module in shell scripting? how? plzz give me an example to generate xml file using this module . you can also use some other module.. BUT SHELL SCRIPTING SHOULD ONLY BE USED (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cynosure2009
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script

Hello Friends, I am writing a shell script which will grab a file if it exists and copies it to another folder and will append with current date. I have written but gives me error, plz help: -------------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/sh source=/home/dev4rice/naveen/test1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help :: Simple Shell Scripting

Hello, I want to find the "IP-OF-SERVER" in /etc/squid/squid.conf And replace it with The IP of server. I know this command returns the IP of server : ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' And I can replace with sed. : sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program for beginners

Hey, i hope someone can help me with this program. I need to write a program in shell which will return how many times and how much time have users been logged in system between two dates. We give time as 2 dates as arguments in command line. Example: $ nameofprogram 27/04 06/05 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exander
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple Shell Scripting

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: An argument example: ../path/cse/lab3/remove Right now, it's printing out all the directory and files in 'lab3'. I want it to print out all the files in 'remove'. I'm not sure how to do that. (I want to use a for loop) 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spider-man
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on simple script as i dont know numch about UNIX scripting

Hello All, My name is vasu and I am very new to Unix scripting, i know basic commands, but now i need to write the following script, i have tried but no luck My requirment is i am getting one our from another command as following Used:1.8TB Advisory Quota:1.8TB aaa1 Used:4.5TB Advisory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
1 Replies
INTRO(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  INTRO(1)

NAME
PDL::Intro - Introduction to the Perl Data Language Version 2.4 "Why is it that we entertain the belief that for every purpose odd numbers are the most effectual?" - Pliny the Elder. Karl Glazebrook [karlglazebrook@yahoo.com] and Craig DeForest [deforest@boulder.swri.edu DESCRIPTION
Perl Data Language (PDL) is a perl extension that is designed for scientific and bulk numeric data processing and display. It extends perl's syntax and includes fully vectorized, multidimensional array handling, plus several paths for device-independent graphics output. "pdl" is an interactive command shell that is supplied with PDL; for more information, see perldl(1). Because PDL is a modular extension to perl, it is accessible to ordinary perl scripts: to write a command-line PDL script you just say "use PDL;" at the top of an ordinary perl script. There is also a specialized interactive shell (perldl(1)) that allows you to issue PDL commands interactively and that includes a path-based subroutine autoloader similar to those found in MatLab and IDL (which are trademarks of MathWorks and Kodak, respectively). The perldl shell allows you to quickly manipulate and "play with" your data. (You can also invoke it with the shorter command "pdl"). The "PDL" module is a complete Object-Oriented extension to Perl (although you don't have to know what an object is to use it) which allows large N-dimensional data sets, such as large images, spectra, time series, etc to be stored efficiently and manipulated en masse. For example with the PDL module we can write the perl code "$a=$b+$c", where $b and $c are large datasets (e.g. 2048x2048 images), and get the result in only a fraction of a second. PDL variables (or piddles as they have come to be known) support a wide range of fundamental data types - arrays can be bytes, short integers (signed or unsigned), long integers, floats or double precision floats. And because of the Object-Oriented nature of PDL new customised datatypes can be derived from them. Perl is an extremely good and versatile scripting language, well suited to beginners, and allows rapid prototyping. The PDL extensions to the language use Perl's object-oriented capabilities to seamlessly add high-speed scientific capabilities that are themselves written in perl, C and/or FORTRAN as appropriate -- so your code's "hot spots" run at native compiled-language speed, while you work in the higher level perl language (which itself runs faster than many other JIT-compiled or interpreted languages). External modules that have been incorporated into PDL include the complete Gnu Scientific Library; CFITSIO for FITS file handling; FFTW; the Slatec matrix-handling package; and the PGPLOT, PLPLOT, Karma, and OpenGL graphics libraries. Ancillary packages written in PDL itself include image handling, curve fitting, matrix manipulation, coordinate transformation, nonlinear data resampling, graphics I/O, and extensive file I/O utilities. Because PDL programs are "just" perl with additional modules loaded, the entire CPAN archive is also available to your PDL scripts. SYNOPSIS
This manual page provides a general introduction to the underlying philosophy of PDL. For an overview over the rest of the documentation see PDL::Index. As a beginner the following documents are particulary recommended: PDL::Impatient Quick summary - PDL for the impatient PDL::FAQ The Frequently Asked Questions list for PDL. PDL::Philosophy Why another matrix language? PDL::Indexing An introduction to using smart indices in PDL. PDL::NiceSlice The all important slicing of piddles. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) Karl Glazebrook (karlglazebrook@yahoo.com), Tuomas J. Lukka, (lukka@husc.harvard.edu) and Christian Soeller (c.soeller@auckland.ac.nz) 1997-2002. Commercial reproduction of this documentation in a different format is forbidden without permission. perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 INTRO(1)