Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Web Server/Permissions issues. Post 302890190 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 25th of February 2014 03:52:27 PM
Old 02-25-2014
It's extremely unlikely that the user "root" is running the webserver.

Login to the system as root and look at all the running processes:

Code:
ps -eaf|more

Look for a process that looks like the web server process (eg. apache or similar known web server).

If you can find the process then the user running it (see column 1) is the user that doesn't have access to the files in the www default directory tree.

If you can't find the web server process, post the whole output of:

Code:
ps -eaf

so that we can have a go.

---------- Post updated at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:51 PM ----------

And also, if you're logged in as "root" (ie, god) you shouldn't have any trouble running 'chown -R'
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issues

I'm hoping this is a pretty simple question. I have a problem were memebers of a group can't delete or overwrite a file. The box is setup several users all part of the same group. Now default umask is 002. The problem I run into is there are processes that add to, del, and over write files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lightspd
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions Issues FTP server

Hi all, Quick question, im going to find this a bit hard to explain but ill give it a go. Basically i have an admin account on an FTP server that i want to be able to control ALL files without having to use sudo (as i need to run cron scripts to move files that are owned by a number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
2 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Wordpress & Git, urgent permissions issues, need help...

Heya, So I recently upgraded my MacBook to a solid state drive, during the re-install of Snow Leopard I chose to abandon MAMP and use the built in Apache & PHP and in doing so moved my ~/Sites to /Library/WebServer/Documents from a Time Machine backup. During this transition the permissions... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3w47m88
0 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

TextMate web server permissions

this could be a dumb question. i am still becoming used to usr / group permissions. permissions to place a file into XAMPP/htdocs. the problem is that when i go to place a TextMate file into XAMPP/htdocs a window comes up and states: Type your password to allow TextMate to make changes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Permissions configuration for web server

Greetings! I have a Solaris workstation that I use for web hosting. It runs SAMP and everything was working good for me until I got a need to add a couple of co-workers to help me with development. I'm trying to find some guidance for how to set up filesystem permissions so everybody would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
3 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)