Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password warning alert
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Password warning alert Post 302889996 by Perderabo on Monday 24th of February 2014 04:48:56 PM
Old 02-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
And, I am not sure if this command exists in RHEL.
That command seems to be a HP-UX only thing. On Redhat we have chage. root can run a command like chage --list joeblow to see joeblow's password aging info.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ALERT!!! ALERT!!! I messed up the UNIX!!!

Hello If you want a short description read my last thread! I have no root access anymore. No remote access! By user access i get a programm started and when i close it, i got logged off! So I guess I messed up the passwd file! is there a chance of booting a unix system (SCO-UNIX UnixWare... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password expiration warning.

Hi, Anyone know the command which identifies how long a user has before their password expires? I also need to know how I would write and expr to calculate the difference between 2 dates. e.g. 28/03/05 - 18/03/05 = 10 I was told there is a date function which shows you no of days since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Password warning banner

What I would like to do is have a banner message run when a user logs into one of my systems. I would like the banner to give the motd and let the user know how long they have until their password expires, but in a bigger than normal font. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whtabtbill
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

6. Red Hat

Nagios is sending "Service Alert: CentOS 5/HTTP is WARNING"

Hello All, I have setup Nagios 3.2.3 on CentOS release 5.7 (Final) with the default config files and added 1 host to it and it is sending "Service Alert: CentOS 5/HTTP is WARNING" frequently, how do you fix this one? what are the additional files that need to be added so that I can monitor the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

7. Web Development

Automization for realm windows security Alert User name and password

I am hitting application Direct URL's(dev servers) from windows7 desktop. I got the popup window to enter credentials. "the server at default realm requires a username and password". devserver is unix server. I have 10 applications need to hit 40 directl urls. I dont like to enter unser... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksreddi
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

**ALERT**ALERT* Whats app requesting users to upgrade to latest version as; its vulnerability found.

Hello All, Want to share here an article for Whats app users that team whats app is requesting users to upgrade to its latest version since they have found a vulnerability; where Hacker could turn on a cell's camera, mic and scan messages and emails. Here is an article from "THE VERGE" for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
1 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
CHAGE(1)							   User Commands							  CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
The chage command changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change his/her password. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chage command are: -d, --lastday LAST_DAY Set the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). -E, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE Set the date or number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the EXPIRE_DATE will remove an account expiration date. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -I, --inactive INACTIVE Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the INACTIVE will remove an account's inactivity. -l, --list Show account aging information. -m, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her account. This occurrence can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -W, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned his/her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires a shadow password file to be available. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when his/her password or account is due to expire. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The chage command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid command syntax 15 can't find the shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHAGE(1)