Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Permission problem, programming advice needed, Perl Post 302889251 by zaxxon on Wednesday 19th of February 2014 03:17:08 PM
Old 02-19-2014
I will try to explain it better:

This wrapper script will be deployed on all hosts in the company, AIX, Linux and Windows. I do not know which technical users (triggered from applications) are going to use it, so I have to assume it will be anybody.

Currently plenty of applications on those hosts execute a client, that does not have the functionalities of the wrapper. This client does not write log files nor is there any mechanisms that need temporary files in it.

For my local tests, everything went fine, even the compiled Perl script on windows.

But then I noticed, that when another user is using the script (AIX/Linux), the directory of the wrapper, where also the logs and temp files are placed, has to be writable for them and the files will have the user and group of the one executing it.

My goal was to achieve, that the files would be written with the uid of the owner of the script, so I thought about trying something with effective uid or something like that.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow at work, thanks so far.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl module installation problems... experts advice needed,...

---------- This is perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail) ----------in win 2000 advanced server,.. i am somewhat comfortable with perl but i am new to perl modules.. when i tried to install xml::simple and xml::parser there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval problem.. advice needed!

Hi I need some major help with eval I have a statement using eval: read input eval variable$input=”something” Now I want to use the “variable$input” in some commands but I don't know how to call it without replacing the $input with the command line value (which I obviously can't do). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cactus Jack
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for' loop advice needed ....!!

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | grep -v "inet6" | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | grep -v "0.0.0.0"|grep -v "192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' I use above command to get IP addresses on AIX boxes.Values coming here are set to a variable "Host IPs.IP Addresses" in my fingerprinting engine. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'for' loop advice needed....!!

Scenario: Command used to capture IPs on a host: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | egrep -v "inet6|0.0.0.0|192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' Following for loop used to capture interface names: for INTERFACE in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | nawk '$1 ~ /:$/ && $1 {sub(":$", "", $1); print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
3 Replies

6. Linux

Scripting advice needed

Evening all, Im trying to get a script that will: Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory Run a command on them (like chmod) Ask of you would like to continue Copy the files to another directory If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wiggins
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

8. Programming

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

fgrep command: Perl programming help needed..Kindly advise

Hi, I am novice in PERL enviornment. I have a text files withso many entries in rows and columns. I have to pick up entries named as "Uniprot ID" in the file and create a new text file with list of particular Uniprot ID entries. Can anybody guide regarding this.. I came to know abut fgrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice for This Programming way

Hi All, I am working in production support environment And I have a lot of checks done daily on system And depended on values I take specific decision I am going to develop script to do general operation task But my problem is this script will be a running process 24 hours I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxosmanpad
5 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)