Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another Post 302889236 by jhamaks on Wednesday 19th of February 2014 01:36:04 PM
Old 02-19-2014
Thank you Lucas_0418. It worked Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - copying files

Folks, here is my code: I am a serious newbie, why doesn't this make copies of my files? I dont get any errors, the files are just not created. Your help is appreciated #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Copy; $PWD = `pwd`; $REPORTDIR = "/usr/local/tripwire/tfs/report"; chdir $REPORTDIR;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a file from one dir to another dir

hi i have a script compareFiles() { find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename1 do echo "----------------------------------------$filename1" find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename2 do if diff $filename1 $filename2 then echo "Both files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files to new dir

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting so I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. The script I'm trying to do saves all the files (*.c) on the current dir to a list and, one by one, copies them to a new one called Backup. The thing is, if there are already other versions of the files I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G3nn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL count files in a dir

Hi Guys, I need to count files in a dir which were updated yesterday. ls -lth | grep -i 'Jul 7' | wc -l The dir holds files of last 15 days and total count is as 2067476. Is it efficient to count the files using perl? I have developed the following perl script making use of system(). Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying specific files from one dir to another

Hi Folks, I have one curious case. There are list of following files placed in one directory such as... And updated each month. files.JAN09.csv files.FEB09.csv files.MAR09.csv ..... Now, I need to move a specific files; i.e, For this month, I need to move only OCT09, NOV09, DEC09,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!! Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over. The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2. Kind of like a log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to new dir structure.

I am trying to figure out a way to script copying specific files from one dir structure to another. I have a dir structure like this: dira/author 1/book 1/file a.epub /book 2/file b.epub /author 2/book 1/file c.epub /author 3/book 1/file d.epub /book 2/file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcanas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copying files into dir inside for loop

Hi , I'm trying to move/copy the files inside the loop into a directory . I tried the below code and the issue is the data is not copying into the created directory but the files are copying into another file file_path="/home/etc" Last_Day=20130930 mkdir $file_path/ARC_${Last_Day} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding Files with Perl on a Hidden Dir?

Greetings! Been a while since I futzed around with Perl, and came upon a minor headscratcher for the community ;) Here's the basic code which I'm trying to make tick over:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; print " starting "; while (-e "~/.somedir/testFile")... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
9 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)