Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Issues with two versions of libstdC++.so Post 302889233 by Praveen_218 on Wednesday 19th of February 2014 01:26:42 PM
Old 02-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Have you tired putting libstdc++.so.5 in a different place and using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to that location?
Yes already tried. Even I created a soft link inside my present working directory to point to libstdc++.so.5; didn't work.

Did like this:
Code:
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 libstdc++.so
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:.

I also did
Code:
 $ strace g++ simpleTrialProgram.cpp -o someExe

Just to understand how g++ is finding libraries by default and found it looks to certain number of pre-defined directories one by one on a decreasing priority (including reaching a level to look inside /usr/lib folder).

But why g++ is choosing version 6 when the same /usr/lib folder has version 5 where as gcc chooses version 5 when the same directory has higher version 6 available to it.

There must be somewhere the information g++ is driving out to select a particular version over other, when multiple available.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Link against a particular version of libstdc++

Our development machines have libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6. When we build our native code, it uses libstdc++.so.6. Is there anyway I can force it to use libstdc++.so.5 instead ? $ ldd try /usr/lib/libcwait.so (0x00655000) libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Is there any way to get old HP-UX versions?

I got my hands on a HP9000/380 and need a (really) old version of HP-UX, like 7 or 8. Is there any vendor who sells older versions? I did a quick search here and checked the FAQ and HPs HP-UX site but couldn't find anything. :confused: Any help is appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundh
4 Replies

3. AIX

libstdc++.a (libstdc++.so.5) issue on AIX 5.2

hello everybody i am new on the AIX environment and i have faced an issue while running pstill it can't find ibstdc++.a (libstdc++.so.5) although i have the latest GCC and libstdc 4.0.0 i guess. So to resolve the problem i have got an old versions that i want to install on AIX: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eternalflame
5 Replies

4. Ubuntu

how to recover libstdc++.so.6

Hi! I'm using Ubuntu Karmic and I lost libstdc++.so.6. Is there a way to recover it?.. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable to find libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Hi all, I am working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant) with kernel 2.6.9-5 and try to install one application but unable to install it. When I am trying to install it,it is throwing the following error-- To resolve it,I installed gcc 4.0.0 and when I am trying to see gcc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Packages required - Libaio.so.1 - Libstdc++so.6

hi guys I have to install a software that says have theses packages are required Libaio.so.1 Libstdc++so.6 are these default packages for a Suse 11 installation for instance? or do I need to download them to avoid dependency issues thanks a lot ---------- Post updated at 10:00 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

hpux vnc 4.1.3 libstdc++

It took me a while, but I found the right libsdc++ for the current free vnc 4.1.3, deep in this: http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/gcc-3.3.2-11.00.sd.bz Merijn's HP-UX software Download Section for ITRC members is a rich source for old libraries. So if you cannot find the right depot or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGPickett
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Versions of HP-UX

Lo guys, I've just started a new department in work and I'm going to be using HP-UX with Vi. The problem is I'm completely new to UNIX, I'm currently learning at work but I only have limited amounts of time on our dev systems. Is it possible to get a free/educational version any where? I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2012
4 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)