Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Perl, Deep recursion? exit() ignored? Post 302889200 by zaxxon on Wednesday 19th of February 2014 10:26:07 AM
Old 02-19-2014
@Corona: Changed it, still no difference.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Trapping EXIT

Hey Everyone, Just starting with PERL (5.8.2) after years of KSH. Is there a way to trap the exit as you can in KSH (i.e., "trap EXIT_SCRIPT EXIT")? Thanks in advance for any help, gsatch (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit ststus 9 from perl system command

HI all, can anyone tell me what does exit status 9 from perl's system function meant. I am using system fuction to execute a shell script as : my $s=system ('script.sh' ,arg1 ,arg2); print $s; the output is 9. Thanks in advance. !!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glamo_2312
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl | catching the letter 'Q' for exit.

Hi all, I made a simple script with a prompt menu in Perl. All working good, but I want to add an option while the program is running that on every time when the user press 'Q' the program will exit. I know I can use $SIG{'INT'} or any other %SIG option. This option is a unix signal which I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedGrinGo
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

[Solved] ssh debug1: Exit status 254 problem

Hello; Am experiencing odd problem with ssh: ========= ssh -vvv remote_host : : debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 65536 debug2: channel_input_status_confirm: type 99 id 0 debug2: shell request accepted on channel 0 debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Simple while loop does not exit

spath="/home/user/k/${1}" dpath="/home/user/seq/Nov17/${1}" cd $dpath ls -1 $spath > list c=1 while read list newlist=`echo $list | sed 's/.gz//' ` newnewlist=`echo $newlist | sed 's/.fastq//' ` do echo $c echo $list c=$(($c+1)) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question Grep and exit status

Im being forced to write in perl. I prefer KSH or Expect, so I suppose its time to become more fluent with perl. I have the following problem. I want to loop through Filea and check that each line in Filea is resident in Fileb. Filea contents two four six eight houseboat Fileb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Rsh does not close connection on exit

Dear all, We have a service that we start up remotely with rsh but unfortunately, the rsh never returns to the calling server. This seems to be because the processes of the service we've just started hold the port open.RBATTE1 @ /home/RBATTE1>netstat -na|grep 49.51 tcp4 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies

10. Programming

Perl: trap signal 'exit': why I am not able to have it work??

First time trying to work with signals in Perl. Reviewing example I try it, but not able to get it work for 'exit'. I hope, I am correct, assuming, that the ending any code by exit $return_code; the $SIG{EXIT} should be de-referenced and processed?! So, I have such code, that, I assume,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies
process_id_min(5)						File Formats Manual						 process_id_min(5)

NAME
process_id_min - specify a minimum value for process IDs (PIDs) VALUES
Failsafe Default Minimum Maximum must be less than or equal to If the difference between and inclusive is less than is effectively limited to this difference. DESCRIPTION
The tunable specifies the minimum process ID (PID) value to generate for new processes. It allows application developers to duplicate an environment where PID values are large for the purpose of software validation. This tunable is primarily intended for development environments. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone interested in software program validation in an environment where PIDs have large values. Restrictions on Changing Changes to the tunable are effective immediately. However, any existing processes and their PIDs are not changed. It is recommended that the system be rebooted after specifying this tunable so that all PIDs in the system will have values in the selected range. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Raise this tunable to validate software for tolerance of large PID values in a development environment. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? If the difference between and is less than the number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously will be lower than the value of When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Lower this tunable when the system is meant to be moved from a development to a production environment. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? If the difference between and is less than the number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously will be lower than the value of What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? It may be desirable to change The tunable should, ideally, be set for the maximum value when validating software which uses PIDs. When changing it is recommended that the system be rebooted to ensure all processes have PIDs within the desired range. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. The HP-UX kernel may silently round the selected values for and/or (for example, to the nearest power of 2) in order to accommodate the PID generation algorithm. It is recommended that validation of software be carried out with the largest configurable value (1,073,741,567) for the tunable, in con- junction with the tunable set to something of the same magnitude (for example, 1,000,000,000). The manpage for (see process_id_max(5)) should be consulted for information about potential application issues with large PID values. Because session IDs (SIDs) and process group IDs (PGIDs) are the same as the process ID of the session or group leader, an increase in the minimum PID also increases the minimum SID and PGID. The system may assign process ID values less than to certain special system processes. Booting the system with set to a non-zero value may cause the initialization process (aka init) to have a PID of something other than 1. However, most system utilities and commands will, by default, report the value of the initialization process's PID as 1. For example, returns 1 if the caller's parent is the initialization process, regardless of its actual PID. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
init(1M), fork(2), getppid(2), nproc(5), process_id_max(5). whitepaper, available on Tunable Kernel Parameters process_id_min(5)