Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Issues with two versions of libstdC++.so Post 302889104 by Praveen_218 on Wednesday 19th of February 2014 01:11:59 AM
Old 02-19-2014
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response to my query.
No, I don't have the option to re-compile the library (say libxyz.so) and this is a black box to me being a 3rd party library package already compiled for my platform. This library using an older version of libstdc++.so.5; however my platform currently has libstdc++.so.6 (as well as libstdc++.so.5 co-existing) and the g++ compiler by default uses libstdc++.so.6 to link any code compiled on my platform (however gcc picks up libstdc++.so.5 by default).

Hence compiling a program which also uses libxyz.so through g++ is creating an undesired scenario by linking to some function calls using libstdc++.so.6 (by default) and some function calls residing into the library libxyz.so also is linked to my program as their API is called but those API's function definition has already linked to libstdc++.so.5

Hence I get an executable which has function calls linking to two versions of libstdc++.so. This creates problem while execution and dumps code.

All I need is a way to override the library selection behavior by the compiler/linker so that I can choose to link to a particular version of my choice at the link time.

I essentially want to link all my programs to libstdc++.so.5 and NOT with libstdc++.so.6

I tried "ldconfig" utility to change behavior by following (as a root):

Code:
# ldconfig -p > ldconf.conf

The file "ldconf.conf" thus produced had libstdc++.so.6 listed just prior to libstdc++.so.5; so I swapped their positions and did the following:

Code:
# ldconfig -f ldconf.conf

I received errors like (didn't work):
Code:
# ldconfig -f ldconf.conf
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libtag.so.1 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libsysfs.so.2 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libstartup-notification-1.so.0 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libsss_idmap.so.0 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /usr/lib64/libssl3.so is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /lib64/ld64.so.1 is not a known library type
ldconfig: > /lib/ld.so.1 is not a known library type
ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Link against a particular version of libstdc++

Our development machines have libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6. When we build our native code, it uses libstdc++.so.6. Is there anyway I can force it to use libstdc++.so.5 instead ? $ ldd try /usr/lib/libcwait.so (0x00655000) libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Is there any way to get old HP-UX versions?

I got my hands on a HP9000/380 and need a (really) old version of HP-UX, like 7 or 8. Is there any vendor who sells older versions? I did a quick search here and checked the FAQ and HPs HP-UX site but couldn't find anything. :confused: Any help is appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundh
4 Replies

3. AIX

libstdc++.a (libstdc++.so.5) issue on AIX 5.2

hello everybody i am new on the AIX environment and i have faced an issue while running pstill it can't find ibstdc++.a (libstdc++.so.5) although i have the latest GCC and libstdc 4.0.0 i guess. So to resolve the problem i have got an old versions that i want to install on AIX: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eternalflame
5 Replies

4. Ubuntu

how to recover libstdc++.so.6

Hi! I'm using Ubuntu Karmic and I lost libstdc++.so.6. Is there a way to recover it?.. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable to find libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Hi all, I am working on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant) with kernel 2.6.9-5 and try to install one application but unable to install it. When I am trying to install it,it is throwing the following error-- To resolve it,I installed gcc 4.0.0 and when I am trying to see gcc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Packages required - Libaio.so.1 - Libstdc++so.6

hi guys I have to install a software that says have theses packages are required Libaio.so.1 Libstdc++so.6 are these default packages for a Suse 11 installation for instance? or do I need to download them to avoid dependency issues thanks a lot ---------- Post updated at 10:00 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

hpux vnc 4.1.3 libstdc++

It took me a while, but I found the right libsdc++ for the current free vnc 4.1.3, deep in this: http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/gcc-3.3.2-11.00.sd.bz Merijn's HP-UX software Download Section for ITRC members is a rich source for old libraries. So if you cannot find the right depot or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGPickett
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Versions of HP-UX

Lo guys, I've just started a new department in work and I'm going to be using HP-UX with Vi. The problem is I'm completely new to UNIX, I'm currently learning at work but I only have limited amounts of time on our dev systems. Is it possible to get a free/educational version any where? I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2012
4 Replies
caca-config(1)						      General Commands Manual						    caca-config(1)

NAME
caca-config - script to get information about the installed version of libcaca SYNOPSIS
caca-config [ --prefix= DIR] [ --exec-prefix= DIR] [ --version ] [ --libs ] [ --cflags ] DESCRIPTION
caca-config is a tool that is used to configure and determine the compiler and linker flags that should be used to compile and link progams, libraries, and plugins that use libcaca. The use of caca-config is deprecated. The more generic tool pkg-config should be used instead. OPTIONS
--cflags Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program or library that uses libcaca. --exec-prefix=DIR If specified, use DIR instead of the installation exec prefix that libcaca was build with when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags and --libs options. --libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a program or library that uses libcaca. --prefix=DIR If specified, use PREFIX instead of the installation prefix that libcaca was built with when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option is also used for the exec prefix if --exec-prefix was not specified. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags and --libs options. --version Prints the currently installed version of libcaca on standard output. EXAMPLES
gcc -o main.o $(caca-config --cflags) -c main.c is how you might use caca-config to compile a C source file for an executable program. gcc -o my_app $(caca-config --libs) main.o util.o is how you might use caca-config to link compiled objects into an executable program. SEE ALSO
pkg-config(1) AUTHOR
The libcaca library was written by Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>. This manual page was written for sdl-config by Branden Robinson, originally for Progeny Linux Systems, Inc., and the Debian Project. It was adapted to libcaca by Sam Hocevar. libcaca 2003-11-22 caca-config(1)