Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding and removing blocks of text from file Post 302889058 by Perderabo on Tuesday 18th of February 2014 01:33:37 PM
Old 02-18-2014
In this case I would run the editing script to produce a candidate file. I would visually scan the candidate file to make sure it is reasonable. Then I would move it into place and I would at least backup the previous file first. A better idea is to put these files under rcs control and do co and ci operations. That way you have a log of which admin made which change.

If you put a garbled file in place you run the risk that the named server will notice it and read it even before you do a manual "rndc reload". Then it can spit garbage out to the internet where it gets cached and will remain until the TTL expires.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract blocks of text from a file

Hi, This is part of a large text file I need to separate out. I'd like some help to build a shell script that will extract the text between sets of dashed lines, write that to a new file using the whole or part of the first text string as the new file name, then move on to the next one and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cajunfries
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read text in blocks

Hi, I have file which contains information written in blocks (every block is different). Is it possible to read every block one by one to another file (one block per file). The input is something like this <block1> <empty line> <block2> <empty line> ... ... ... <block25> <empty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: art84_)LV
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blocks from a file

I have a file like the one below. Each record is separated with > In between I have lines consisting of 3 numeric values separated by a space. I need to take each block between the > sign and read the first number in the line. Then take the first after the > sign and the last before the >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches...

I sat down yesterday to write this script and have just realised that my methodology is broken........ In essense I have..... ----------------------------------------------------------------- (This line really is in the file) Service ID: 12345 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed with file- removing leading zeros and adding the space

Hi All, i have a fixed width file , where each line is 3200 length. File: 1ABC 1111 2222 3333 000012341 1001 2ABC 1111 2222 3333 000012342 1002 3ABC 1111 2222 3333 000112343 1003 1DEF 5555 4444 9696 000012344 1004 2DEF 5555 2323 8686 000012345 1005 3DEF 5555 1212 7676 000012346 1006 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mechvijays
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate text blocks from a file?

Hi All I have a list of files which will have duplicate list of blocks of text. Following is a sample of the file, I have removed the sensitive information from the file. All the code samples starts from <TR BGCOLOR="white"> and Ends with IP address and two html tags like this. 10.14.22.22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahasona
3 Replies
rndc(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  rndc(1M)

NAME
rndc - name server control utility SYNOPSIS
rndc [-V] [-c config-file] [-k key-file] [-s server] [-p port] [-y key_id] command DESCRIPTION
The rndc utility controls the operation of a name server. It supersedes the ndc utility that was provided in previous BIND releases. If rndc is invoked with no command line options or arguments, it prints a short summary of the supported commands and the available options and their arguments. The rndc utility communicates with the name server over a TCP connection, sending commands authenticated with digital signatures. The only supported authentication algorithm in the current versions of rndc and named(1M) is HMAC-MD5, which uses a shared secret on each end of the connection. This algorithm provides TSIG-style authentication for the command request and the name server's response. All commands sent over the channel must be signed by a key_id known to the server. The rndc utility reads a configuration file to determine how to contact the name server and decide what algorithm and key it should use. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c config-file Use config-file as the configuration file instead of the default /etc/rndc.conf. -k key-file Use key-file as the key file instead of the default, /etc/rndc.key. The key in /etc/rndc.key is used to authenticate com- mands sent to the server if the config-file does not exist. -s server The server argument is the name or address of the server that matches a server statement in the configuration file for rndc. If no server is supplied on the command line, the host named by the default-server clause in the option statement of the configuration file is used. -p port Send commands to TCP port port instead of BIND 9's default control channel port, 953. -V Enable verbose logging. -y keyid Use the key keyid from the configuration file. The keyid argument must be known by named with the same algorithm and secret string for control message validation to succeed. If no keyid is specified, rndc will first look for a key clause in the server statement of the server being used, or if no server statement is present for that host, then the default-key clause of the options statement. The configuration file contains shared secrets that are used to send authenticated control com- mands to name servers. It should therefore not have general read or write access. For the complete set of commands supported by rndc, see the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual or run rndc without arguments to see its help message. LIMITATIONS
The rndc utility does not support all the commands of the BIND 8 ndc utility. There is no way to provide the shared secret for a key_id without using the configuration file. Several error messages could be clearer. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWbind9 | |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
named(1M), named.conf(4), rndc.conf(4), attributes(5) BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual NOTES
Source for BIND9 is available in the SUNWbind9S package. SunOS 5.10 15 Dec 2004 rndc(1M)