Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identify the overlapping and non overlapping regions Post 302888832 by vgersh99 on Monday 17th of February 2014 03:13:19 PM
Old 02-17-2014
Where are exactly are you stuck?
How far have you gotten so far?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overlapping words on command line

i tried resize command , but it's not working...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find non overlapping positions

Hi, I am a newbie in unix programming so maybe this is a simple question. I would like to know how can I make a script that outputs only the values that are not between any given start and end positions Example file1: 2 30 40 80 82 100 file2: ID1 1 ID2 35 ID3 80 ID4 81 ID6 160... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fadista
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching columns with overlapping value ranges

Hi, I want to match and print columns that match. So my file looks like this: h1 20 30 h1 25 27 h2 50 70 h2 90 95 h2 60 80 h2 70 75 h3 130 150 h3 177 190 h4 140 190 h4 300 305 So there are 6 columns. Column 1 and 4 are names. I am able to get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

non-overlapping terminals

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if there's an easy way to have terminals (gnome-terminal for instance) be open in such a way that they're not overlapping each other? I suppose I could play around with the --geometry option but that would imply me checking whether a terminal is already at a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
3 Replies

5. Programming

Overlapping pictureboxes?

I am making a game, but I can't figure out how to put one image over the other. The background of the front image, covers up the picturebox under it. For example, I have two fish images, but when one is in front of the other, its background covers up the other fish. I attached a picture as an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: romeo5577
1 Replies

6. Solaris

shared memory overlapping

hey guys, i'm having trouble with a real time multi threaded program that uses lots of shared memory on solaris 8. it sometime crashes out of the blue, a randomness that suggests some sort of memory leak or shared memory overlap. any tips? freeware or otherwise useful software? any way i can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princeofnothing
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Test for overlapping IP ranges

Greetings folks, I have a rather lengthy list of banned IP ranges in iptables. Initially it was constructed as a rather ad-hoc affair, then later I discovered a site which had IP Block By Country lists, and imported several into iptables. If possible, I'd like to be able to verify if the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding overlapping names in different txt files

Dear Gurus, I have 57 tab-delimited different text files, each one containing entries in 3 columns. The first column in each file contains names of objects. Some names are present in more than one file. I would like to find those names and store them in a separate text file, preferably with a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two files with non-overlapping identities

Hi All, I wish to merge two files: file1: with header rsSNP-ID Chromosome Chr-Pos rs171 1 175261679 rs242 1 20869461 rs538 1 6160958 file2: without header disease:AAT deficiency:M0525101 rs1243168 20109307 1 disease:AAT deficiency:M0525101 rs4900229 20109307 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luoruicd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning the names from overlapping regions

I have 2 files; file 1 having smaller positions that overlap with the positions with positions in file2. file1 aaa 20 22 apple aaa 18 25 banana aaa 12 30 grapes aaa 22 25 melon file2 aaa 18 26 cdded aaa 10 35 abcde I want to get something like this output aaa 18 26 cdded banana... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
4 Replies
STRIPOS(3)								 1								STRIPOS(3)

stripos - Find the position of the first occurrence of a case-insensitive substring in a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed stripos (string $haystack, string $needle, [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Find the numeric position of the first occurrence of $needle in the $haystack string. Unlike the strpos(3), stripos(3) is case-insensitive. PARAMETERS
o $haystack - The string to search in. o $needle - Note that the $needle may be a string of one or more characters. If $needle is not a string, it is converted to an integer and applied as the ordinal value of a character. o $offset - If specified, search will start this number of characters counted from the beginning of the string. Unlike strrpos(3) and strri- pos(3), the offset cannot be negative. RETURN VALUES
Returns the position of where the needle exists relative to the beginnning of the $haystack string (independent of offset). Also note that string positions start at 0, and not 1. Returns FALSE if the needle was not found. Warning This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of this function. EXAMPLES
Example #1 stripos(3) examples <?php $findme = 'a'; $mystring1 = 'xyz'; $mystring2 = 'ABC'; $pos1 = stripos($mystring1, $findme); $pos2 = stripos($mystring2, $findme); // Nope, 'a' is certainly not in 'xyz' if ($pos1 === false) { echo "The string '$findme' was not found in the string '$mystring1'"; } // Note our use of ===. Simply == would not work as expected // because the position of 'a' is the 0th (first) character. if ($pos2 !== false) { echo "We found '$findme' in '$mystring2' at position $pos2"; } ?> NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
mb_stripos(3), strpos(3), strrpos(3), strripos(3), stristr(3), substr(3), str_ireplace(3). PHP Documentation Group STRIPOS(3)