Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX New to AIX need help Installing/Upgrading Samba on AIX 7.1? Post 302888803 by bakunin on Monday 17th of February 2014 11:39:32 AM
Old 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3rb3rus
I did notice the dependency hell on perilz which prevented me from getting Samba installed on the AIX OS, I was finding that it needed dependency A which needed dependency B, and so on the chain was huge.
Michael Perzl is probably the most structured worker i ever came across. Yes, that means that "packageA" really contains only A and not a iota of B, which might create a dependency to B, but you will come to appreciate the robustness and dependability his packages offer. Something unexpected practically never happens. This is arguably the best site for third-party AIX software and the packages are way better than the rpm-packages IBM itself offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3rb3rus
I was also succesful at removing Samba, however I did notice that using..

lssrc -g Samba config. remained behind, showing the samba group (nmbd, winbindd, and smbd services). perhaps the previous admin manually created the service group thus the removal did not take care of it.
hmm....

"lssrc" ist listing running ("active") and stopped ("inoperative") subsystems (~=daemons), not files. It is the interface to the "System Resource Controller" (SRC), a sort-of super-daemon. You will find some information here if you search for it.

It might well be that the previous admin created some users/groups himself. There are some easy commands to find out what belongs to where:

"lslpp -l" lists all installed packages in a long list

"lslpp -f <package-name>" lists all the files/directories belonging to the package

"lslpp -w <file>" lists the package a file belongs to (if any)

You can even "take apart" lpp-packages and look into their pre-/post-install-scripts, which would be responsible for creating users, groups and the like.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Upgrading AIX Unix

Hi all, I've got a question about an OS upgrade. I'm planning to do a upgrade from AIX UNIX 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 in a few weeks. I haven't got that much information. Could someone give me some general tips or hints, things I should think of before? Things I should know, or general errors. I know... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
9 Replies

2. AIX

Installing Samba on AIX 5.3

Hello, I need assistance installing Samba on AIX 5.3 TL06. Smitty Install produces the following error message: Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. geninstall -I "a -cgNQqwXY -J" -Z -d... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgray71
5 Replies

3. AIX

Using SAMBA in AIX 5.3

Please help, I'm wicked... :confused: I'm trying to get Samba to work on an IBM pseries machine (AIX 5.3) to provide access to the server for a user to retrieve reports from her WinXP desktop. I've made the proper entires in the smb.conf file and tried runing the smbpasswd command to add the user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trandall
4 Replies

4. AIX

Upgrading AIX 5.2 to AIX 6.1 - GCC compatibility

Hi All, We are in the processing of upgrading our AIX server OS from 5.2.0.0 to 6.1. And we have a set of highly critical running C applications in AIX box. I have a question like whether this upgradation of OS will affect any C code compilation and C runtime enviornment... how does AIX 6.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

5. AIX

Upgrading AIX from 5.3 to 6.1

Hi, I am having 2 Hard disk one for os and another for data,I would like to know for Upgrading AIX 5.3 to 6.1,wheather I have to varry off datavg while upgrading, or any other files needs to be backup. Please suggest Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

6. AIX

Upgrading from native MPIO to SDDPCM AIX 6.1

We have AIX 6.1 system attached to SAN disks (DS4700 and DS8100) thru SVC. Initially when the system was I forgot to install sddpcm drivers. and wanted to know how can i go with the installation of the sddpcm drivers. My understandin going thru the manual ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrading from aix 5.3 to ?

Hey guys, since AIX 5.3 reaches EOS on april 2012, I really need to update my systems asap. Any experience on upgrading directly to 7.1, with sap/db2/oracle? could do fresh installs and import my sap/db vgs, but this would be a lot of work cheers Funksen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

8. AIX

Regarding Upgrading RAM in AIX 6.1

Hi Folks, Currently we are having the below configuration in one of our AIX 6.1 server. RAM:- 8 GB Paging space :- 19 GB CPU processor:- 1 CPU type: 64 bit But we would like to upgrade the configuration to below to improve the system performance and resolve some memory issues. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanmca2006
11 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating

Hi all, I have this weird notion that upgrading the TL does not cause the machine to wipe, but upgrading a major version (from aix 6 to 7) means it's actually a fresh install and will wipe the date and i have to install the software again (TSM server, for instance). Trying to google it, i came... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tde3000
3 Replies

10. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
deb-symbols(5)							    dpkg suite							    deb-symbols(5)

NAME
deb-symbols - Debian's extended shared library information file SYNOPSIS
symbols DESCRIPTION
The symbol files are shipped in Debian binary packages, and its format is a subset of the template symbol files used by dpkg-gensymbols(1) in Debian source packages. The format for an extended shared library dependency information entry in these files is: library-soname main-dependency-template [| alternative-dependency-template] [...] [* field-name: field-value] [...] symbol minimal-version [id-of-dependency-template] The library-soname is exactly the value of the SONAME field as exported by objdump(1). A dependency-template is a dependency where #MINVER# is dynamically replaced either by a version check like "(>= minimal-version)" or by nothing (if an unversioned dependency is deemed sufficient). Each exported symbol (listed as name@version, with version being "Base" if the library is not versioned) is associated to a minimal-version of its dependency template (the main dependency template is always used and will end up being combined with the dependency template referenced by id-of-dependency-template if present). The first alternative dependency template is numbered 1, the second one 2, etc. Each entry for a library can also have some fields of meta-information. Those fields are stored on lines starting with an asterisk. Currently, the only valid fields are: Build-Depends-Package It indicates the name of the "-dev" package associated to the library and is used by dpkg-shlibdeps to make sure that the dependency generated is at least as strict as the corresponding build dependency (since dpkg 1.14.13). Ignore-Blacklist-Groups It indicates what blacklist groups should be ignored, as a whitespace separated list, so that the symbols contained in those groups get included in the output file (since dpkg 1.17.6). This should only be necessary for toolchain packages providing those blacklisted symbols. The available groups are system dependent, for ELF and GNU-based systems these are aeabi and gomp. EXAMPLES
Simple symbols file libftp.so.3 libftp3 #MINVER# DefaultNetbuf@Base 3.1-1-6 FtpAccess@Base 3.1-1-6 [...] Advanced symbols file libGL.so.1 libgl1 | libgl1-mesa-glx #MINVER# * Build-Depends-Package: libgl1-mesa-dev publicGlSymbol@Base 6.3-1 [...] implementationSpecificSymbol@Base 6.5.2-7 1 [...] SEE ALSO
https://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps dpkg-shlibdeps(1), dpkg-gensymbols(1). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-symbols(5)